Re: How to obtain the real problem that avoids postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig O'Shannessy
Subject Re: How to obtain the real problem that avoids postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
I think this is a pretty serious shortcoming of the standard
/etc/init.d/postgresql script, it sends all output (std. out AND error to
/dev/null).

You should have a line something like this

                su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl  -D $PGDATA -p /usr/bin/postmaster -o '-p ${PGPORT}'
start > /var/log/postgres.log 2>&1" < /dev/null

You can see where I have replaced the "> /dev/null" with "> /var/log/postgres.log"

You would want to do this first, before attempting to start postgres, so

[root@somebox /#] vi /etc/init.d/postgresql
[root@somebox /#] touch /var/log/postgres.log
[root@somebox /#] chown postgres /var/log/postgres.log
[root@somebox /#] /etc/init.d/postgresql start

Now, when it fails, you will get decent logging in /var/log/postgres.log

Hope this helps.

Craig