Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
"John Wells"
Date:
Ok...this has irritated me for sometime.  I've seen reference to dividing
it up into proper syllables in the mailing archives, but couldn't find
pronunciation of the "gres" part...

Is it:

Post - grease - queue - el

Post - greee - es - queue - el

or

Post - gress - queue - el (as in impress)

Thanks,

Johnn

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
"Dann Corbit"
I always say:

Pigee - squeal.

At least it's easy to remember.

None of the below exactly roll off the tongue.  I seem to remember a
site that had a sound file attachment for how to pronounce PostgreSQL,
but I can't remember where I saw it.

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
"John Wells"
Date:
Yeah... I found a link to the sound file in a archived message, but it's
404 now...

John

Dann Corbit said:
> I always say:
>
> Pigee - squeal.
>
> At least it's easy to remember.
>
> None of the below exactly roll off the tongue.  I seem to remember a
> site that had a sound file attachment for how to pronounce PostgreSQL,
> but I can't remember where I saw it.

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
"Chris Stokes"
Date:
I use your third pronunciation

Regards,
Chris Stokes
Senior Systems Consultant
Bass Software
ChrisS@BassSoftware.com <mailto:ChrisS@BassSoftware.com>
Main         +613 8415 9300
Direct       +613 8415 9305

Ok...this has irritated me for sometime.  I've seen reference to dividing
it up into proper syllables in the mailing archives, but couldn't find
pronunciation of the "gres" part...

Is it:

Post - grease - queue - el

Post - greee - es - queue - el

or

Post - gress - queue - el (as in impress)

Thanks,

Johnn

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
"Craig O'Shannessy"
Date:
Me too.

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Chris Stokes wrote:

> I use your third pronunciation
>
> Regards,
> Chris Stokes
> Senior Systems Consultant
> Bass Software
> ChrisS@BassSoftware.com <mailto:ChrisS@BassSoftware.com>
> Main         +613 8415 9300
> Direct       +613 8415 9305

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
Alex Satrapa
Date:
John Wells wrote:
> Ok...this has irritated me for sometime.  I've seen reference to dividing
> it up into proper syllables in the mailing archives, but couldn't find
> pronunciation of the "gres" part...

FOLDOC (Free Online Dictionary of Computing) says:

PostgreSQL
    <database> /'post-gres-kyu-el/ An enhancement of the
    POSTGRES database system.

Though I tend to pronounce that last syllable as "ell" not "el".  The
difference is one of those trivial matters which Alexander Pope observed
are responsible for starting the greatest conflicts.

"you will go to *Dell* if you don't print my *label*".

Alex

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
I just say postgres

Dann Corbit wrote:

>I always say:
>
>Pigee - squeal.
>
>At least it's easy to remember.
>
>None of the below exactly roll off the tongue.  I seem to remember a
>site that had a sound file attachment for how to pronounce PostgreSQL,
>but I can't remember where I saw it.

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Post - gress - Q - L

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, John Wells wrote:

> Ok...this has irritated me for sometime.  I've seen reference to dividing
> it up into proper syllables in the mailing archives, but couldn't find
> pronunciation of the "gres" part...
>
> Is it:
>
> Post - grease - queue - el
>
> Post - greee - es - queue - el
>
> or
>
> Post - gress - queue - el (as in impress)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Johnn

----

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Craig O'Shannessy wrote:

> Me too.

Its the way I've always pronounced it ...

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Chris Stokes wrote:
>
> > I use your third pronunciation
> >
> > Regards,
> > Chris Stokes
> > Senior Systems Consultant
> > Bass Software
> > ChrisS@BassSoftware.com <mailto:ChrisS@BassSoftware.com>
> > Main         +613 8415 9300
> > Direct       +613 8415 9305

----

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
"Williams, Travis L, NEO"
Date:
They're used to be a sound bite on postgres.org on how to pronounce it
properly.. any idea where that went?

Travis

broadcast)---------------------------
> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to
majordomo@postgresql.org)

> ---------------------------(end of
broadcast)---------------------------

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
(http://www.hub.org)
Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
7615664

TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if
your
      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
""
Date:
I managed to find it here: http://postgresql.rmplc.co.uk/postgresql.mp3

Post-Gres-Queue-Ell

> They're used to be a sound bite on postgres.org on how to pronounce it
> properly.. any idea where that went?
>
> Travis

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From
"John Wells"
Date:
Devrim GUNDUZ said:
> BTW, this mp3 was on the old web site, AFAIR.

Seems like there should be a *prominent* link on the site describing just
how to pronounce it.  From a marketing standpoint, having everyone
uncomfortably stumbling over themselves while struggling to pronounce it
in meetings with management is not a good way to gain widespread adoption,
collaboration, etc.

John

Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL

From