Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Satrapa
Subject Re: Pronouncing PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
John Wells wrote:
> Ok...this has irritated me for sometime.  I've seen reference to dividing
> it up into proper syllables in the mailing archives, but couldn't find
> pronunciation of the "gres" part...

FOLDOC (Free Online Dictionary of Computing) says:

PostgreSQL
    <database> /'post-gres-kyu-el/ An enhancement of the
    POSTGRES database system.

Though I tend to pronounce that last syllable as "ell" not "el".  The
difference is one of those trivial matters which Alexander Pope observed
are responsible for starting the greatest conflicts.

"you will go to *Dell* if you don't print my *label*".

Alex