Invalid page header in block

From
"Carmen Wai"
Hello:

I encounter a problem in which I have inserted about 1.6 million record to a
database table (using postgresql 7.3.4), when I vacuum or select * from the
table, it gets error message: Invalid page header in block 314345 of table.
At first, I think it is my hard-disk problem, so I install another new
machine (with the same config) and try again. But my new machine gets the
same error when I insert more than 1.6 million to the database table.

My machine running the postgresql is installed with Red Hat 7.3, it has a
IDE and SCSI hard disk. The data directory (PGDATA) is placed in the SCSI
hard disk. When I installed the OS, it has already checked the bad block, so
I don't think the error is caused by the bad block in my hard disk!

Does any one know to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot!
Carmen

Linguaphone :  Learning English? Get Japanese lessons for FREE
http://go.msnserver.com/HK/30476.asp

Re: Invalid page header in block

Date:
"Carmen Wai" <wai_carmen@hotmail.com> writes:
> I encounter a problem in which I have inserted about 1.6 million record to a
> database table (using postgresql 7.3.4), when I vacuum or select * from the
> table, it gets error message: Invalid page header in block 314345 of table.
> At first, I think it is my hard-disk problem, so I install another new
> machine (with the same config) and try again. But my new machine gets the
> same error when I insert more than 1.6 million to the database table.

Oh?  Could we see the contents of that block as dumped with pg_filedump?
(You can get it from http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/tools.html)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Invalid page header in block

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

   I also ran into this with 7.3.4. We had to reindex the database. It
recovered all but
two blocks. Once we figured out where those blocks were, we were able to
delete the
bad rows, dump the table, drop the table, restore the table.

   We only lost those two rows and haven't had the problem since.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake