Pg Dump error

From
"Patrick Hatcher"
Date:
Trying to dump data from my database using:

pg_dump -a -Ft -b mdc_oz > mdc.tar

And I keep receiving the following error:
pg_dump: [tar archiver] could not write to tar member (wrote 3, attempted
203)

Any idea what this could be?  I've dump other database on the same server
without issue

Patrick Hatcher
Macys.Com
Legacy Integration Developer
415-422-1610 office
HatcherPT - AIM

Re: Pg Dump error

Date:
"Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher@macys.com> writes:
> Trying to dump data from my database using:
> pg_dump -a -Ft -b mdc_oz > mdc.tar

> And I keep receiving the following error:
> pg_dump: [tar archiver] could not write to tar member (wrote 3, attempted
> 203)

IIRC, the -Ft mode requires dumping into temp files in /tmp --- have you
got enough free space in /tmp for your largest table?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Pg Dump error

From
"Patrick Hatcher"
Date:
thanks.  It turn out to be a problem with one of the tables.  It had a date
value of 543525-01-01.  Somehow the COPY command allowed this to come in as
a date, but pg_Dump  using a tar dump spat out a bogus error message.  It
wasn't until I did a normal pg_dump did I actually see that it was an error
with a specific table.

Patrick Hatcher
Macys.Com
Legacy Integration Developer
415-422-1610 office
HatcherPT - AIM

           Tom Lane
           <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
           11/21/2003 09:16 AM        "Patrick Hatcher"
                                      <PHatcher@macys.com>
                                                                        cc
                                      pgsql-general@postgresql.org
                                                                   Subject