Pgsql on Windows

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
How soon will 7.5 come out? (yes, I know, 7.4 is beta right now).

How difficult is it to set up cygwin?

I'd like to make a drop in Apache/Postgres/PHP application on a windows
computer for someone in my organization.

I'd PREFER to avoid ODBC if at all possible.

Re: Pgsql on Windows

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 17:10, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> How soon will 7.5 come out? (yes, I know, 7.4 is beta right now).

Who knows... six months maybe?

> How difficult is it to set up cygwin?

Not very, I used postgres via cygwin for development for a long time.
Works fine, but it's slower and not quite as stable as you would want
for production purposes.

> I'd like to make a drop in Apache/Postgres/PHP application on a windows
> computer for someone in my organization.
>
> I'd PREFER to avoid ODBC if at all possible.

I don't see how ODBC fits in to this at all.  There is no need for ODBC
if postgresql is running via cygwin, running on a remote linux box, or
even native on windows.

Re: Pgsql on Windows

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Dennis Gearon writes:

> How soon will 7.5 come out? (yes, I know, 7.4 is beta right now).

All signs point to September 24, 2004.

> How difficult is it to set up cygwin?

I found it quite easy.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Pgsql on Windows

From
Gene Vital

Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> I don't see how ODBC fits in to this at all.  There is no need for ODBC
> if postgresql is running via cygwin, running on a remote linux box, or
> even native on windows.

I am new to PostgreSQL
what other options are available to connect then ?

--
Eugene Vital
Any technology indistinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

Re: Pgsql on Windows

From
Mike Mascari
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Dennis Gearon writes:
>

>>How soon will 7.5 come out? (yes, I know, 7.4 is beta right now).
>

> All signs point to September 24, 2004.

Have you verified that with the Master of Ceremonies?

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com

Re: Pgsql on Windows

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 17:37, Gene Vital wrote:
> Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> > I don't see how ODBC fits in to this at all.  There is no need for ODBC
> > if postgresql is running via cygwin, running on a remote linux box, or
> > even native on windows.
>
> I am new to PostgreSQL
> what other options are available to connect then ?

When you have postgresql support compiled into PHP, then PHP connects
directly using native PostgreSQL calls (libpq), no ODBC layer to deal
with.

Re: Pgsql on Windows

From
"Cornelia Boenigk"
Date:
Hi

> When you have postgresql support compiled into PHP, then PHP
connects
> directly using native PostgreSQL calls (libpq), no ODBC layer to
deal
> with.
Working with Windows you normally don't compile PHP but use the Win
binaries. To connect to a PostgreSQL database you must uncomment the
php_pgsql.dll in php.ini.

Regards
Conni

Re: Pgsql on Windows

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 17:37, Gene Vital wrote:
> > Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> > > I don't see how ODBC fits in to this at all.  There is no need for ODBC
> > > if postgresql is running via cygwin, running on a remote linux box, or
> > > even native on windows.
> >
> > I am new to PostgreSQL
> > what other options are available to connect then ?
>
> When you have postgresql support compiled into PHP, then PHP connects
> directly using native PostgreSQL calls (libpq), no ODBC layer to deal
> with.

Note that ODBC may still be preferred if you're trying to write a very
generic app like a bulletin board or something.  But the native layer
generally reveals a little more of the database API to the code, which is
sometimes quite nice too.

It's all a trade off, I mostly use the native pgsql API and am very happy
with it.