Multilple email being delivered

From
"Bob Powell"
Date:
This may have already been noted but I seem to be getting emails from this list twice. Is this a problem with my email
serveror the list?

Bob Powell

Re: Multilple email being delivered

From
"Jimmie H. Apsey"
Date:
I've had the same problem recently and it is VERY confusing!
Jim Apsey
Bob Powell wrote:

>This may have already been noted but I seem to be getting emails from this list twice. Is this a problem with my email
serveror the list?

>Bob Powell

Re: Multilple email being delivered

From
Kaarel
Date:
> I've had the same problem recently and it is VERY confusing!

It is either the matter od configuring mail-list server or your own mail
client. When somebody replies you your message in mail-list by using
"replay to all" function, then you will get one copy and the list will
get one copy of the reply. Therefore you will actually get two copies -
one direclty for you and one throu mail-list.

The other thing is that quite many discussions are being held in two
mail-lists simultainously. Therefore if have subscribed to both lists,
you will get two e-mails. You cant (at least i havent figured out how)
tell a mailfilter to move a message to say pgsql-general folder based on
the address and the next copy of the same message to say psql-advocacy
folder if the address bar includes both a psql-general and psql-advocacy
mail addresses. Mail filter processes the rules one by one and if
psql-general rule precedes psql-advocacy rule then both messages will be
processed by the psql-general rule and youll get two copies of the same
message.

Perhaps there are more clever ways to filter mail

Re: Multilple email being delivered

Date:
Kaarel <kaarel@future.ee> writes:
> The other thing is that quite many discussions are being held in two
> mail-lists simultainously. Therefore if have subscribed to both lists,
> you will get two e-mails.

You can avoid that by setting your subscriptions to receive only one
copy of cross-posted messages.  I think that the incantation is
    set ALL unique
but I advise reading the majordomo server's help message before trying.

Another thing people are commonly not aware of is that sometimes you do
see the same message twice.  This happens because someone sends to a
list that they are not subscribed to, gets back a notice saying the
message is being held for moderator approval, and then subscribes and
re-sends the same message.  A while later, when Marc gets around to
reading the moderator queue, he approves the original message.  There's
been some talk of trying to eliminate these duplicates automatically,
but no one's gotten annoyed enough to actually do anything about it.
If you see a familiar-looking message that's back-dated a day or two,
just ignore it.

            regards, tom lane