change log 7.3.3

From
"Henrik Steffen"
Date:
hello all,

where can I find a change log for the changes from 7.3.2 to 7.3.3
to decide whether it's worth installing or not?

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Henrik Steffen
Geschäftsführer

top concepts Internetmarketing GmbH
Am Steinkamp 7 - D-21684 Stade - Germany
http://www.topconcepts.com          Tel. +49 4141 991230
mail: steffen@topconcepts.com       Fax. +49 4141 991233
24h-Support Hotline:  +49 1908 34697 (EUR 1.86/Min,topc)
Ihr SMS-Gateway: JETZT NEU unter: http://sms.city-map.de
System-Partner gesucht: http://www.franchise.city-map.de
Handelsregister: AG Stade HRB 5811 - UstId: DE 213645563

Re: change log 7.3.3

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 09:12:49 +0200,
  Henrik Steffen <steffen@city-map.de> wrote:

> hello all,
>
> where can I find a change log for the changes from 7.3.2 to 7.3.3
> to decide whether it's worth installing or not?

Its in the HISTORY file.

Re: change log 7.3.3

From
"Henrik Steffen"
Date:
would be nice to have it on the download page,
so one doesn't need to download the complete tarball...

just an idea ;-)

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Henrik Steffen
Geschäftsführer

top concepts Internetmarketing GmbH
Am Steinkamp 7 - D-21684 Stade - Germany
http://www.topconcepts.com          Tel. +49 4141 991230
mail: steffen@topconcepts.com       Fax. +49 4141 991233
24h-Support Hotline:  +49 1908 34697 (EUR 1.86/Min,topc)
Ihr SMS-Gateway: JETZT NEU unter: http://sms.city-map.de
System-Partner gesucht: http://www.franchise.city-map.de
Handelsregister: AG Stade HRB 5811 - UstId: DE 213645563

> > where can I find a change log for the changes from 7.3.2 to 7.3.3
> > to decide whether it's worth installing or not?
>
> Its in the HISTORY file.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: change log 7.3.3

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 21:32:23 +0200,
  Henrik Steffen <steffen@city-map.de> wrote:
> would be nice to have it on the download page,
> so one doesn't need to download the complete tarball...

You can also get it (just the HISTORY file) from CVS through the web
interface. The one being used for 7.4 is probably the easiest to grab.
The URL is:
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/HISTORY?rev=1.194&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Re: change log 7.3.3

From
Paul Thomas
Date:
On 28/05/2003 20:32 Henrik Steffen wrote:
> would be nice to have it on the download page,
> so one doesn't need to download the complete tarball...
>
> just an idea ;-)

+1

Unfortunately (IMO) PG seems to follow something of a trend in OSS of
announcing a release but not saying what has changed in that announcement
(or even pointing to a URL which lists the changes). OK, so I'm sitting
here on a DSL line and can download 7.3.3 (maybe 3-4 minutes), un-pack it
and look at the history file then either install or ignore the release as
I see fit. I'm one of the lucky ones. Many people are not so lucky and
have to download on a metred 56K dial-up line - probably taking something
like 1.5 hours. Don't these people deserve some consideration? How much
effort would it take to provide a bullet list of changes since the last
release externally to the download? Not a lot IMHO. Come on guys, you've
got a great product, with generally good documentation, why let yourselves
down on this point?

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: change log 7.3.3

From
Jeff Fitzmyers
Date:
Sign up for the "PostgreSQL Weekly News" (via pgsql-announce). I really
look forward to  each week's summary. They are great!

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/

Jeff

>> would be nice to have it on the download page,
>> so one doesn't need to download the complete tarball...
>> just an idea ;-)
>
> +1
>
> Unfortunately (IMO) PG seems to follow something of a trend in OSS of
> announcing a release but not saying what has changed in that
> announcement (or even pointing to a URL which lists the changes).

Re: change log 7.3.3

From
Kyle
Date:
Sorry to disagree, Jeff, but I just looked at the May archive you
referred to and I see the announcement for 7.3.3, but no change log.
There is a link to an FTP site where I can go download 7.3.3; perhaps
the change log is there, but as usual, the FTP site is overloaded and
won't let me in.  Okay, so now I go search for a mirror to find out IF I
can find a change log without downloading the whole tar...

WHY does this have to be so hard?

I agree with Henrik and Paul.  A change log page should be available on
the PostgreSQL web site.  $0.02

-Kyle

Jeff Fitzmyers wrote:
> Sign up for the "PostgreSQL Weekly News" (via pgsql-announce). I really
> look forward to  each week's summary. They are great!
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/
>
> Jeff
>
>>> would be nice to have it on the download page,
>>> so one doesn't need to download the complete tarball...
>>> just an idea ;-)
>>
>> Unfortunately (IMO) PG seems to follow something of a trend in OSS of
>> announcing a release but not saying what has changed in that
>> announcement (or even pointing to a URL which lists the changes).

Re: change log 7.3.3

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:28:32 -0400,
  Kyle <kyle@ccidomain.com> wrote:
> Sorry to disagree, Jeff, but I just looked at the May archive you
> referred to and I see the announcement for 7.3.3, but no change log.
> There is a link to an FTP site where I can go download 7.3.3; perhaps
> the change log is there, but as usual, the FTP site is overloaded and
> won't let me in.  Okay, so now I go search for a mirror to find out IF I
> can find a change log without downloading the whole tar...
>
> WHY does this have to be so hard?
>
> I agree with Henrik and Paul.  A change log page should be available on
> the PostgreSQL web site.  $0.02

There already is one on the web site. It is just hard to find.

It would probably be a good idea to make a copy of just the HISTORY
file available at the mirrors and provide a link to the file as part
of the announcement blurb on the web page.

Re: change log 7.3.3

From
Jeff Fitzmyers
Date:
My mistake -- I was not clear. PostgreSQL Weekly News has a few
highlights -- suits me -- but I totally understand others need all the
specifics :)
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/2003-05/msg00005.php

Jeff

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 06:28 AM, Kyle wrote:

> Sorry to disagree, Jeff, but I just looked at the May archive you
> referred to and I see the announcement for 7.3.3, but no change log.
> There is a link to an FTP site where I can go download 7.3.3; perhaps
> the change log is there, but as usual, the FTP site is overloaded and
> won't let me in.  Okay, so now I go search for a mirror to find out IF
> I can find a change log without downloading the whole tar...
>
> WHY does this have to be so hard?
>
> I agree with Henrik and Paul.  A change log page should be available
> on the PostgreSQL web site.  $0.02
>
> -Kyle
>
> Jeff Fitzmyers wrote:
>> Sign up for the "PostgreSQL Weekly News" (via pgsql-announce). I
>> really look forward to  each week's summary. They are great!
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/
>> Jeff
>>>
>>> Unfortunately (IMO) PG seems to follow something of a trend in OSS
>>> of announcing a release but not saying what has changed in that
>>> announcement (or even pointing to a URL which lists the changes).

Re: change log 7.3.3

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
A simple changelog here: http://www.postgresql.org/...

in the announcement would be nice and is easy to add to the way it's done
now.

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:28:32 -0400,
>   Kyle <kyle@ccidomain.com> wrote:
> > Sorry to disagree, Jeff, but I just looked at the May archive you
> > referred to and I see the announcement for 7.3.3, but no change log.
> > There is a link to an FTP site where I can go download 7.3.3; perhaps
> > the change log is there, but as usual, the FTP site is overloaded and
> > won't let me in.  Okay, so now I go search for a mirror to find out IF I
> > can find a change log without downloading the whole tar...
> >
> > WHY does this have to be so hard?
> >
> > I agree with Henrik and Paul.  A change log page should be available on
> > the PostgreSQL web site.  $0.02
>
> There already is one on the web site. It is just hard to find.
>
> It would probably be a good idea to make a copy of just the HISTORY
> file available at the mirrors and provide a link to the file as part
> of the announcement blurb on the web page.

Re: change log 7.3.3

From
Mark Kirkwood

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>There already is one on the web site. It is just hard to find.
>
>It would probably be a good idea to make a copy of just the HISTORY
>file available at the mirrors and provide a link to the file as part
>of the announcement blurb on the web page

This seems like an excellent idea.

The Apache and Php projects do something like this - makes it very easy
to see whats in each new release.

cheers

Mark