.NET and PostgreSQL

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

One of our potential customers want to use .NET and PostgreSQL together.
I dislike any M$ products so do not know what to do for .NET and
PostgreSQL come together.

Visited gborg and took a look at Npgsql. It does what we want; doesn't it?
But it's under development and not ready for production use, right?

Is there any other project that we can use? Or any other suggestions?

Best regards,
--
Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim@gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr

Re: .NET and PostgreSQL

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, 13 May 2003, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of our potential customers want to use .NET and PostgreSQL together.
> I dislike any M$ products so do not know what to do for .NET and
> PostgreSQL come together.
>
> Visited gborg and took a look at Npgsql. It does what we want; doesn't it?
> But it's under development and not ready for production use, right?
>
> Is there any other project that we can use? Or any other suggestions?

This is likely your best bet from what I've seen.  Keep in mind that
"alpha" for Postgresql projects is about the same as "final release
before bug fixes, security patches, and service pack2" for Microsoft
products, while "beta" for pgsql tends to be what you get after adding all
the above to a Microsoft product.  Microsoft has no equivalent to a x.y.2
release of a postgresql project.

I'm not being a smart aleck, it really is true.

Re: .NET and PostgreSQL

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, 13 May 2003, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of our potential customers want to use .NET and PostgreSQL together.
> I dislike any M$ products so do not know what to do for .NET and
> PostgreSQL come together.
>
> Visited gborg and took a look at Npgsql. It does what we want; doesn't it?
> But it's under development and not ready for production use, right?
>
> Is there any other project that we can use? Or any other suggestions?

P.s. what I was trying to say in my last post, was that you should test it
and see how it works for you right now.  You may find that the work they
have left to do doesn't really affect you and you can get ready for the
final release by producing code now instead of waiting.

Whether something's good enough to be put on a production system can only
be determined by testing.  No one can vouch for it to work but the guy who
puts it online.

Re: .NET and PostgreSQL

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 12 May 2003, scott.marlowe wrote:

> P.s. what I was trying to say in my last post, was that you should test it
> and see how it works for you right now.  You may find that the work they
> have left to do doesn't really affect you and you can get ready for the
> final release by producing code now instead of waiting.

Thanks for the two posts.

I agree on what you say on open source products; but what I wanted to
learn was if there was anyone using it (or not) on a production
environment.

I'll inform the people who'll write the code. If we succeed in porting the
application, I'll post the result to this list.

Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim@gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr
            http://www.gunduz.org

Re: .NET and PostgreSQL

From
Jeff Eckermann
Date:
You can use ODBC with .NET.  You may want to search
the archives for references to that; I'm sure I recall
seeing reports from people who have done that with
good results.