Cross-machine PL/pgSQL?

From
"David Olbersen"
Date:
Is it possible to access a postgres database running on another machine on the network from a pl/pgsql function? I
haven'tbeen able to find anything in the docs about this and have a feeling it just isn't going to happen :)

--------------------------
David Olbersen
iGuard Engineer
11415 West Bernardo Court
San Diego, CA 92127
1-858-676-2277 x2152

Re: Cross-machine PL/pgSQL?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 08:25:40AM -0800, David Olbersen wrote:
> Is it possible to access a postgres database running on another
> machine on the network from a pl/pgsql function? I haven't been able
> to find anything in the docs about this and have a feeling it just
> isn't going to happen :)

I guess you can use the contrib/dblink functions for this, but I'm not
sure.

"You knock on that door or the sun will be shining on places inside you
that the sun doesn't usually shine" (en Death: "The High Cost of Living")

Re: Cross-machine PL/pgSQL?

From
Darko Prenosil
Date:
On Tuesday 25 March 2003 16:25, David Olbersen wrote:
> Is it possible to access a postgres database running on another machine on
> the network from a pl/pgsql function? I haven't been able to find anything
> in the docs about this and have a feeling it just isn't going to happen :)

If You are well familiar with libpq client interface, there is my project on
gborg that encapsulates almost all libpq functions calls and can be used in
pl/psql.
    ftp://gborg.postgresql.org/pub/plpq/devel/plpq_src.tar.gz

On the other hand, in /contrib directory of postgres sources there is dblink
tool that might be just what You want.