Postgres processes

From
Oleg Lebedev
Date:
After running my application for a couple of days, I noticed that there is a bunch of postgres processes sitting on my system eating up a lot of memory. It show that they are all idle, but I don't know what started them. These processes use about 1GB of memory, so I will be really happy to get rid of them. But, why are they there? Any ideas?
Thanks.

Oleg

*************************************

This email may contain privileged or confidential material intended for the named recipient only.
If you are not the named recipient, delete this message and all attachments.
Any review, copying, printing, disclosure or other use is prohibited.
We reserve the right to monitor email sent through our network.

*************************************

Re: Postgres processes

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Oleg Lebedev <oleg.lebedev@waterford.org> writes:

> After running my application for a couple of days, I noticed that there
> is a bunch of postgres processes sitting on my system eating up a lot of
> memory. It show that they are all idle, but I don't know what started
> them. These processes use about 1GB of memory, so I will be really happy
> to get rid of them. But, why are they there? Any ideas?

Your application (or some other process) is holding Postgres
connections open instead of closing them when it's done.  If you
don't like it, fix the application.

-Doug

Re: Postgres processes

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Oleg Lebedev wrote:

> After running my application for a couple of days, I noticed that there
> is a bunch of postgres processes sitting on my system eating up a lot of
> memory. It show that they are all idle, but I don't know what started
> them. These processes use about 1GB of memory, so I will be really happy
> to get rid of them. But, why are they there? Any ideas?
> Thanks.

If your application is using persistant connections or connection pooling,
this is actually normal, and most of that memory being used is actually in
shared buffers, so no big deal.

If your application is NOT using persistant connections / pooling them,
then this is often a sign that your client side app is crashing.

Just do a 'pg_ctl -m immediate stop' ' pg_ctl start' to get rid of them
during off peak hours.