PGconn timeout

From
ahoward
Date:
all-

i'm writing a ruby connection pooling package layered on top of it's libpq
interface.  i've scoured the pg docs, but can't seem to determine of PGconns
normally timeout, and if there are any methods for dealing with
this/determinng this.

any info/pointers to docs apprecitated.

-ara

--

 ====================================
 | Ara Howard
 | NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory
 | Information and Technology Services
 | Data Systems Group
 | R/FST 325 Broadway
 | Boulder, CO 80305-3328
 | Email: ahoward@fsl.noaa.gov
 | Phone:  303-497-7238
 | Fax:    303-497-7259
 ====================================

Re: PGconn timeout

Date:
ahoward <ahoward@fsl.noaa.gov> writes:
> i'm writing a ruby connection pooling package layered on top of it's libpq
> interface.  i've scoured the pg docs, but can't seem to determine of PGconns
> normally timeout, and if there are any methods for dealing with
> this/determinng this.

There is no timeout behavior in either libpq or the backend.  We have
recently seen a couple of trouble reports that seem to be due to
connections being dropped when they are idle for more than a timeout
period, but my guess is that that behavior is occurring in a firewall
or other network device between the client and server machines.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PGconn timeout

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 12:33, Tom Lane wrote:
> There is no timeout behavior in either libpq or the backend.

Recent versions of libpq allow a connect_timeout parameter in the
conninfo string passed to PQconnectdb(), as well as through the
PGCONNECT_TIMEOUT env var.

Cheers,

Neil