readline configure error again

From
mike
Date:
Hi again,

I show more about the error when configuring.

this is the message I get when running the "./configure" command.

checking for readline... no
configure: error: readline library not found
If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on the
failure.  It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper directory.
Use --without-readline to disable readline support.

I don't know about the headers.

Thanks for your attention
mike-af

Re: readline configure error again

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 05:59:26PM +0100, mike wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I show more about the error when configuring.
>
> this is the message I get when running the "./configure" command.
>
> checking for readline... no
> configure: error: readline library not found
> If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on the
> failure.  It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper directory.
> Use --without-readline to disable readline support.

It doesn't know where to find your readline headers and libraries.

If you are compiling on a system with various packages (like RPM,
.deb, whatever), you probably need to install the development version
(it has the headers).

If you compiled and installed yourself, you might want to use the
--with-includes and --with-libs directives.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: readline configure error again

From
Adam Witney
Date:
I am also getting this error, I have just installed readline-4.2 and I am
using this configure syntax

./configure --with-perl --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql7.3.1
--with-libraries='/usr/local/lib' --with-includes='/usr/local/include'

libreadline.so is located in /usr/local/lib.

System details:

bash-2.03$ uname -a
SunOS webdev1 5.8 Generic_108528-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2

Any ideas why this is not finding readline?

Thanks for any help

Adam

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 05:59:26PM +0100, mike wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I show more about the error when configuring.
>>
>> this is the message I get when running the "./configure" command.
>>
>> checking for readline... no
>> configure: error: readline library not found
>> If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on the
>> failure.  It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper directory.
>> Use --without-readline to disable readline support.
>
> It doesn't know where to find your readline headers and libraries.
>
> If you are compiling on a system with various packages (like RPM,
> .deb, whatever), you probably need to install the development version
> (it has the headers).
>
> If you compiled and installed yourself, you might want to use the
> --with-includes and --with-libs directives.

believed to be clean.

Re: readline configure error again

Date:
Adam Witney <awitney@sghms.ac.uk> writes:
> Any ideas why this is not finding readline?

The error message does suggest looking into config.log ...

My bet is either a search path problem or you are missing a required
library (on some platforms libreadline depends on libtermcap, IIRC).

            regards, tom lane