PostgreSQL on Windows

From
"karthikeyan.balasubramanian"
Date:
Hi Everybody,

  A good person from this list helped me in getting a binary distribution
for PostgreSQL for windows.  Though its in beta form, it sure is a good
start for me. I was able to start it up much like I used to do for mysql in
less than a minute.  I cant reveal his name unless he wants me to.  But I am
amazed why this is not popularized.

  Anyway if somebody need this distribution they can contact me.  I don't
have web server so cant put any online but anybody willing to come forward I
can place it there so that everybody is benefited.

  Have a great day to all.

Karthikeyan B

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
"Daniel Morgan"
Date:
I'm interested. Is this a Win32 native version of PostgreSQL 7.1.3 server or
cygwin?

There is a Win32 version of PostgreSQL 7.1.3 included within the Cygwin
distribution downloadable
from http://www.cygwin.com/
but it requires the cygwin1.dll to run it. Plus, it requires cygpic 1.13
which is not included in Cygwin; it is a separate download and install you
must make.  This information is found in the readme for PostgreSQL in the
cygwin documentation.

  A good person from this list helped me in getting a binary distribution
for PostgreSQL for windows.  Though its in beta form, it sure is a good
start for me. I was able to start it up much like I used to do for mysql in
less than a minute.  I cant reveal his name unless he wants me to.  But I am
amazed why this is not popularized.

  Anyway if somebody need this distribution they can contact me.  I don't
have web server so cant put any online but anybody willing to come forward I
can place it there so that everybody is benefited.

  Have a great day to all.

Karthikeyan B

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
"Pirtea Calin Iancu"
Date:
>   A good person from this list helped me in getting a binary distribution
> for PostgreSQL for windows.  Though its in beta form, it sure is a good
> start for me. I was able to start it up much like I used to do for mysql
in
> less than a minute.  I cant reveal his name unless he wants me to.  But I
am
> amazed why this is not popularized.

It should be popularized. I don't use PosgreSQL yet only because I need
both linux and Windows as server OS-es and it has to easily install on
both of them.

Best regards,
Application Developer
Pirtea Calin Iancu
S.C. SoftScape S.R.L.
pcalin@rdsor.ro

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
Christoph Dalitz
> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:29:30 -0500
> From: "Daniel Morgan" <danmorg@sc.rr.com>
>
> I'm interested. Is this a Win32 native version of PostgreSQL 7.1.3 server or
> cygwin?
>
> There is a Win32 version of PostgreSQL 7.1.3 included within the Cygwin
> distribution downloadable
> from http://www.cygwin.com/
> but it requires the cygwin1.dll to run it.

There is a native Win32 version of PostgreSQL available that can be bought
from dbexperts (http://www.dbexperts.net/).

I guess Karthikeyan has pirated this version, so the "good person from this list"
probably has good reasons to remain in the dark...

Christoph Dalitz

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows [Viruschecked]

From
"Patric Bechtel"
Date:

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:06:22 +0100, Christoph Dalitz wrote:

This "good" person on the list reached a beta of the 7.2 server around,
so no REAL prob. It's some porting effort from multera.
But AFAIK PostgreSQL is GPL'ed, so it is not allowed to modify and
sell only? So ANY copy of whom ever modified PostgreSQL HAS to be free,
or am I wrong? So how can it be pirated?

>> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:29:30 -0500
>> From: "Daniel Morgan" <danmorg@sc.rr.com>
>>
>> I'm interested. Is this a Win32 native version of PostgreSQL 7.1.3 server or
>> cygwin?
>>
>> There is a Win32 version of PostgreSQL 7.1.3 included within the Cygwin
>> distribution downloadable
>> from http://www.cygwin.com/
>> but it requires the cygwin1.dll to run it.
>>
>There is a native Win32 version of PostgreSQL available that can be bought
>from dbexperts (http://www.dbexperts.net/).

>I guess Karthikeyan has pirated this version, so the "good person from this list"
>probably has good reasons to remain in the dark...

>Christoph Dalitz

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

sincerely,

Patric Bechtel
IPCON Informationssysteme

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 2636 F26E F523 7D62  4377 D206 7C68 06BB

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Christoph Dalitz wrote:

> There is a native Win32 version of PostgreSQL available that can be bought
> from dbexperts (http://www.dbexperts.net/).
>
> I guess Karthikeyan has pirated this version, so the "good person from this list"
> probably has good reasons to remain in the dark...

Was there not a native version sort of released by someone for testing ahead
integration into the main tree?

--
Nigel J. Andrews

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
Nicolas Boretos
Date:
Nigel J. Andrews wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Christoph Dalitz wrote:
>

>>There is a native Win32 version of PostgreSQL available that can be bought
>>from dbexperts (http://www.dbexperts.net/).
>>
>>I guess Karthikeyan has pirated this version, so the "good person from this list"
>>probably has good reasons to remain in the dark...
>>

> Was there not a native version sort of released by someone for testing ahead
> integration into the main tree?

Hi,

I am the "good person" on the list. I did not pirate anyones software.
I sent the person a link that Multera provided to the UMN Mapserver, and
Postgis lists, requesting people to try their port....

Please do not be so quick to ASS U ME things....

regards,

nicolas boretos

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
Christoph Dalitz
Date:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:59:00 +0200
Nicolas Boretos <nicolasb@maich.gr> wrote:

> I am the "good person" on the list. I did not pirate anyones software.
> I sent the person a link that Multera provided to the UMN Mapserver, and
> Postgis lists, requesting people to try their port....
>
> Please do not be so quick to ASS U ME things....

Ooops, sorry for my nasty comment.

Let's forget it and keep as a bottom line that there already is
a stable commercial native Win32 port of PostgreSQL (from dbexperts)
and some other "unstable" prereleases.

Christoph Dalitz

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
"Pirtea Calin Iancu"
Date:
> There is a native Win32 version of PostgreSQL available that can be bought
> from dbexperts (http://www.dbexperts.net/).

I thought the license of PostgreSQL does not allow someone to sell it for
money.
How do they license this Win32 version?

Best regards,
Application Developer
Pirtea Calin Iancu
S.C. SoftScape S.R.L.
pcalin@rdsor.ro

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows [Viruschecked]

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Patric Bechtel wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:06:22 +0100, Christoph Dalitz wrote:
>
> This "good" person on the list reached a beta of the 7.2 server around,
> so no REAL prob. It's some porting effort from multera.
> But AFAIK PostgreSQL is GPL'ed, so it is not allowed to modify and
> sell only? So ANY copy of whom ever modified PostgreSQL HAS to be free,
> or am I wrong? So how can it be pirated?

Sorry, but you have been misinformed.  Postgresql is licensed under the
much more loose BSD style license, which means someone can do exactly what
we are speaking of, i.e. port it and charge money and not give away the
source code.

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows [Viruschecked]

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 09:19, Patric Bechtel wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:06:22 +0100, Christoph Dalitz wrote:
>
> This "good" person on the list reached a beta of the 7.2 server around,
> so no REAL prob. It's some porting effort from multera.
> But AFAIK PostgreSQL is GPL'ed, so it is not allowed to modify and
> sell only? So ANY copy of whom ever modified PostgreSQL HAS to be free,
> or am I wrong? So how can it be pirated?

PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, so people can make
changes to the code and keep them closed source. AFAIK this is what
dbexperts has done, so someone that used their source code to make there
own distribution would be pirating the software.

Robert Treat

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

Date:
Pirtea Calin Iancu wrote:
> [...]

There is no such restriction in the BSD license we use.

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Christoph Dalitz wrote:
<snip>
> I guess Karthikeyan has pirated this version, so the "good person from this list"
> probably has good reasons to remain in the dark...

It sounds more like a Beta version of PeerDirect's native PostgreSQL
port.  Instead of being all secretive and stuff about it, people who
want legitimate access to the Beta version can probably email to:

Michael Furgal <mikef@multera.com>

And ask if they're willing to accept more beta testers.  It's reasonably
likely they'd say yes.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Christoph Dalitz

- Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
"Aurangzeb M. Agha"
Date:
OK -- I see what you mean.

Yes, you're right.   This can be a prob.  In fact, I have the same issue
with my biz-dev folks tha need to install our app on their laptops.
Having to go through cygwin and install PostgreSQL is something they they
can't grasp.

    Rgs,
    Aurangzeb

--
Aurangzeb M. Agha    | Email : aagha@bigfoot.com
                     | Home  : +3 010 8959.558
34 Nafsika St.       | Direct: +3 010 8995.875
Voula 16673          | Mobile: TBD
Greece               | e-Fax : 978 246.0770
                     | PGP id: 0x68B3A763

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little

                    - Benjamin Franklin

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
Jochem van Dieten
Date:
Justin Clift wrote:
> Christoph Dalitz wrote:
>
>> I guess Karthikeyan has pirated this version, so the "good person from this list"
>> probably has good reasons to remain in the dark...
>

> It sounds more like a Beta version of PeerDirect's native PostgreSQL port.  Instead of being all secretive and stuff
aboutit, people who want legitimate access to the Beta version can probably email to:

> Michael Furgal <mikef@multera.com>
>
> And ask if they're willing to accept more beta testers.  It's reasonably likely they'd say yes.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-11/msg00414.php

Jochem

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi guys,

There is a project on Gborg.postgresql.org called WinMaster that's
supposed to make the cygwin version of PostgreSQL very easy, but not
sure how developed it is yet.

Just emailed the author (Igor) about it, in the hopes that he has
something ready for people to use.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:
> OK -- I see what you mean.
>
> Yes, you're right.   This can be a prob.  In fact, I have the same issue
> with my biz-dev folks tha need to install our app on their laptops.
> Having to go through cygwin and install PostgreSQL is something they they
> can't grasp.
>
>     Rgs,
>     Aurangzeb
>

>>Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:09:26 +0200
>>From: "Pirtea Calin Iancu" <pcalin@rdsor.ro>
>>To: "PostgreSQL General List" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
>>Subject: Re: Re PostgreSQL on Windows
>>
>>You missed the point. It has to install easily from scratch. That is install
>>both server and everything else without much user intervention.
>>When I give the software to a client he runs install and the server+my soft
>>gets installed.
>>You cannot do that with cygwin. Well maybe you can, but I bet is not that
>>easy.

- Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Jochem van Dieten wrote:
<snip>

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-11/msg00414.php

Thanks Jochem.

That's nice of them.  Looks like everyone is allowed to use their Beta
version then.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Jochem

- Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows [Viruschecked]

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 09:19, Patric Bechtel wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:06:22 +0100, Christoph Dalitz wrote:
> >
> > This "good" person on the list reached a beta of the 7.2 server around,
> > so no REAL prob. It's some porting effort from multera.
> > But AFAIK PostgreSQL is GPL'ed, so it is not allowed to modify and
> > sell only? So ANY copy of whom ever modified PostgreSQL HAS to be free,
> > or am I wrong? So how can it be pirated?
> >

> PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, so people can make
> changes to the code and keep them closed source. AFAIK this is what
> dbexperts has done, so someone that used their source code to make there
> own distribution would be pirating the software.

First of all, I think dbExperts did no native Port. I have the 7.2
version of dbExperts PostgreSQL on the shelf. The dbxlibs.dll is
considerably smaller and contains only 37 occurences of the string
"cygwin" - an original cygwin1.dll contains 185.

But as tou said, PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, so it is
not our problem.

Jan