Upgrading 6.5.1

From
Jean-Christian Imbeault
Date:
I've just been asked to upgrade a postgres 6.5.1 installation. The DB is
very simple with only one large table (really bad design, but my job is
just to upgrade the software, not touch the design, thank God).

6.5.1 is *really* old. Are there any docs still left lying around on
things I should watch out for (data types that are no longer supported
for example) when moving the data? Or is it as simple as doing a pg_dump
of the old DB and loading it into the new one; I'm assuming there *is* a
pg_dump in 6.5.1?

Also, assuming we run the new version on the same hardware what kind of
a performance increase should I expect to see. Maybe about 20x faster?

Thanks!

Jc

Re: Upgrading 6.5.1

Date:
Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> 6.5.1 is *really* old. Are there any docs still left lying around on
> things I should watch out for (data types that are no longer supported
> for example) when moving the data? Or is it as simple as doing a pg_dump
> of the old DB and loading it into the new one; I'm assuming there *is* a
> pg_dump in 6.5.1?
>
> Also, assuming we run the new version on the same hardware what kind of
> a performance increase should I expect to see. Maybe about 20x faster?

Let's see --- how fast does dust move --- that would be your 6.5.1
server.  :-)

Re: Upgrading 6.5.1

Date:
Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc@mega-bucks.co.jp> writes:
> 6.5.1 is *really* old. Are there any docs still left lying around on
> things I should watch out for (data types that are no longer supported
> for example) when moving the data?

You should probably expect problems ... for example, the standard names
of datetime-related datatypes are different now.

I would suggest dumping schema and data separately (pg_dump -s and -a
IIRC).  Try to load the schema, edit manually, repeat till successful.
Then try to load the data.  With luck you won't need any data edits.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Upgrading 6.5.1

From
Lincoln Yeoh
Date:
At 10:37 PM 12/16/02 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Let's see --- how fast does dust move --- that would be your 6.5.1
>server.  :-)

Moves like the wind? ;).

Actually that's why MySQL was faster[1].

Cheerio,
Link.

[1] So, Postgresql zealots, know your history before flaming MySQL and
MySQL users.

Postgresql devs picked decent architecture/designs and so Postgresql could
be improved dramatically.

Re: Upgrading 6.5.1

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Monday 16 December 2002 22:37, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> > 6.5.1 is *really* old. Are there any docs still left lying around on

> > Also, assuming we run the new version on the same hardware what kind of
> > a performance increase should I expect to see. Maybe about 20x faster?

> Let's see --- how fast does dust move --- that would be your 6.5.1
> server.  :-)

Hey, I remember that 6.5 was considered a substantial advance from 6.4.... And
it _was_ a notable advance -- 6.5 was the first version that was actually
quite reliable.  I still have a production server running 6.5.3 very happily
and speedily.

And I started with 6.2.1, so I know slow.

In fact, I remember a quite interesting bit of PR about 6.5 that proclaimed it
being the development team's final mastery of the codebase inherited from
Berkeley... ;-)  That blurb was removed by the time 6.5.1 was released, IIRC.

That's about the time I started building RPMs.  I guess that makes me an old
hand? :-D

What I would actually suggest is upgrading in version sequence -- get to 7.0,
then 7.1, then 7.2, then go to 7.3.  For a simple database it may not be a
big deal.  Provided those version even build on your target OS -- as
PostgreSQL has advanced, its supported OS list has changed.  I attempted
building 7.0 awhile back on Red Hat 7.3 awhile back, and it failed quite
badly.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio