Backend message type 0x50 arrived while idle

From
"Wynn, Robin"
Date:
> Hi...
>
> We're using an older version of PostgreSQL (6.5.1, to be precise), and
> we're running into a problem where during certain inserts and queries we
> receive a message "Backend message type 0x50 arrived while idle".  We've
> also seen backend message 0x45.  Are these defined somewhere?  We're
> trying to figure out why this is happening, and if upgrading to a newer
> version of PostgreSQL might fix the problem, and I'm not finding much in
> the way of documentation that gets into the meaning of the various backend
> messages.   Any information you can give me would be appreciated, because
> this is getting really frustrating.  Thanks.
>
> Robin
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>   Robin Wynn
>   Northrop Grumman Information Technology
>   Email: rwynn@northropgrumman.com
>   Phone: (315) 336-0500 Ext 2247
>   Fax: (315) 336-4455
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Re: Backend message type 0x50 arrived while idle

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
"Wynn, Robin" <RWynn@northropgrumman.com> writes:

> > Hi...
> >
> > We're using an older version of PostgreSQL (6.5.1, to be precise), and
> > we're running into a problem where during certain inserts and queries we
> > receive a message "Backend message type 0x50 arrived while idle".

6.5.1 is old.  Really really really old.  Amazingly old.  It also has
a lot of bugs that are fixed in later versions (the current version is
7.3).  It's not even the latest version in the 6.5 series (I think
there was a 6.5.3).

You would probably do well to test your application under 7.3 and see
if you run into any problems.  People here aren't going to put any
effort into trying to debug 5-year-old software.  ;)

-Doug