tcpip connections..

From
"Williams, Travis L, NPONS"
Date:
Do I need to change anything else besides tcpip_socket to true for remote connections?  Is there anyway to check that
thisis actually working?  I'm having trouble connecting remotely..  btw thank you all for your help.. using postgresql
hasmade my life easier than you would have ever believed!!

Travis

Re: tcpip connections..

From
"Williams, Travis L, NPONS"
Date:
All,
    I didn't realize it.. but all of my scripts before this one using DBI::Pg have been local.. (I realized that
somewhereI've got to specify where the DB is) reading the DBI::Pg I'm not sure where to specifiy this at.. any help is
appreciated..

Travis

-----Original Message-----
From: Williams, Travis L, NPONS
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 7:09 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] tcpip connections..

Do I need to change anything else besides tcpip_socket to true for remote connections?  Is there anyway to check that
thisis actually working?  I'm having trouble connecting remotely..  btw thank you all for your help.. using postgresql
hasmade my life easier than you would have ever believed!!

Travis

Re: tcpip connections..

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 13:09, Williams, Travis L, NPONS wrote:
> Do I need to change anything else besides tcpip_socket to true for
remote connections?  Is there anyway to check that this is actually
working?  I'm having trouble connecting remotely..  btw thank you all
for your help.. using postgresql has made my life easier than you would
have ever believed!!

You should also check the authorisation in pg_hba.conf, to ensure that
users are allowed to connect from the remote sites.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "A new commandment I give unto you; That ye love one
      another. As I have loved you, so ye also must love one
      another.  By this shall all men know that ye are my
      disciples, if ye have love one to another."
                         John 13:34,35

Re: tcpip connections..

From
Christoph Dalitz
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:09:18 -0500
> From: "Williams, Travis L, NPONS" <tlw@att.com>
>
> Do I need to change anything else besides tcpip_socket to true for remote
> connections?

For some strange reason this is configured via the file $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf
instead via some table in the system catalog (that's what I would have expected).

See the chapter "Client Authentification" in the Administrator's Guide.

> Is there anyway to check that this is actually working?

Start psql.

Christoph Dalitz

Re: tcpip connections..

From
"Williams, Travis L, NPONS"
Date:
Did that.. forgot to mention it though..

Travis

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 13:09, Williams, Travis L, NPONS wrote:
> Do I need to change anything else besides tcpip_socket to true for
remote connections?  Is there anyway to check that this is actually
working?  I'm having trouble connecting remotely..  btw thank you all
for your help.. using postgresql has made my life easier than you would
have ever believed!!

You should also check the authorisation in pg_hba.conf, to ensure that
users are allowed to connect from the remote sites.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "A new commandment I give unto you; That ye love one
      another. As I have loved you, so ye also must love one
      another.  By this shall all men know that ye are my
      disciples, if ye have love one to another."
                         John 13:34,35

Re: tcpip connections..

From
Christoph Dalitz
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:18:22 -0500
> From: "Williams, Travis L, NPONS" <tlw@att.com>
>
>     I didn't realize it.. but all of my scripts before this one using DBI::Pg
> have been local.. (I realized that somewhere I've got to specify where the DB is)
> reading the DBI::Pg I'm not sure where to specifiy this at.. any help is appreciated..

$dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:Pg:dbname=bla;host=blabla;port=blablabla", ...);

Christoph

Re: tcpip connections..

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Christoph Dalitz <christoph.dalitz@hs-niederrhein.de> writes:

> For some strange reason this is configured via the file
> $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf instead via some table in the system catalog
> (that's what I would have expected).

The reason (for using ph_hba.conf) actually makes sense.  ;) If it was
all stored in system catalogs, and you screwed them up and locked
yourself completely out of the database, you'd be in big trouble.
With text files, you can always fix them with an editor.

-Doug

Re: tcpip connections..

From
"Williams, Travis L, NPONS"
Date:
tada.. that worked.. thanks..

Travis

>     I didn't realize it.. but all of my scripts before this one
using DBI::Pg
> have been local.. (I realized that somewhere I've got to specify where
the DB is)
> reading the DBI::Pg I'm not sure where to specifiy this at.. any help
is appreciated..

$dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:Pg:dbname=bla;host=blabla;port=blablabla",
...);

Christoph