stability of pg library usage

From
Markus Wagner
Date:
Hi,

we developed some software using the C-library for pg 7.1.3 and distributed it
to users who are using pg 7.2.x. There was a problem when the program tried
to open 'template1' in order to execute a 'CREATE DATABASE'-statement. The
database 'template1' could not be opened. After installing pg 7.3.1 it
worked.

We are wondering what may have changed in the new version, and if there will
be some stability in the future, so that our software may be used with
different pg versions.

Thanks for replies,

Markus

Re: stability of pg library usage

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Markus Wagner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we developed some software using the C-library for pg 7.1.3 and distributed it
> to users who are using pg 7.2.x. There was a problem when the program tried
> to open 'template1' in order to execute a 'CREATE DATABASE'-statement. The
> database 'template1' could not be opened. After installing pg 7.3.1 it
> worked.

Hi Markus,

Out of curiosity, was "7.3.1" a typo?  We haven't released that version
yet.  The closest match would be "7.2.1" though it's not recommended due
to some bugs that were found (7.2.3 is the latest release, and it's
production worthy).

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> We are wondering what may have changed in the new version, and if there will
> be some stability in the future, so that our software may be used with
> different pg versions.
>
> Thanks for replies,
>
> Markus

> http://archives.postgresql.org

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: stability of pg library usage

From
Medi Montaseri
Date:
I'd say stay off of template0 and template1. Let the PG team abstract
this stuff and
use initdb(1), createdb(1), createuser(1) and pg_ctl(1).

If at some point the PG arch change and template2 becomes the template,
then your
C code is protected and similar arguments....

Markus Wagner wrote:

>Hi,
>
>we developed some software using the C-library for pg 7.1.3 and distributed it
>to users who are using pg 7.2.x. There was a problem when the program tried
>to open 'template1' in order to execute a 'CREATE DATABASE'-statement. The
>database 'template1' could not be opened. After installing pg 7.3.1 it
>worked.
>
>We are wondering what may have changed in the new version, and if there will
>be some stability in the future, so that our software may be used with
>different pg versions.
>
>Thanks for replies,
>
>Markus

>http://archives.postgresql.org