LDAP authentication

From
Richard Ray
Date:
Does anyone know if anyone has tried to use LDAP for authentication?
The management here is insisting on it. I'll write it from scratch if
neccassary. Any hints or pointers are appreciated.

Thanks
Richard

Re: LDAP authentication

From
Tommi Mäkitalo
Date:
Postgresql supports pam. And there is pam_ldap. I haven't tried out yet. But
I'm sure you need to create users in postgresql. Just authentication comes
through pam. There is no nss_ldap as far as I know.

Tommi

Am Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2002 21:38 schrieb Richard Ray:
> Does anyone know if anyone has tried to use LDAP for authentication?
> The management here is insisting on it. I'll write it from scratch if
> neccassary. Any hints or pointers are appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Richard

Re: LDAP authentication

From
Ray Hunter
Date:
I have used LDAP authentication with PHP. It works really well..I have
even done it with using MS domain controllers to....

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 13:38, Richard Ray wrote:
> Does anyone know if anyone has tried to use LDAP for authentication?
> The management here is insisting on it. I'll write it from scratch if
> neccassary. Any hints or pointers are appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Richard

Thank you,

Ray Hunter

Re: LDAP authentication

From
Richard Ray
Date:
I've had no luck gettting PAM to work with PostgreSQL on HP/UX 11.00 and I
read that PostgreSQL doesn't allow user triggers on system tables. Not much
left but hack the PostgreSQL authentication code.

Richard

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 03:29 pm, you wrote:
> Postgresql supports pam. And there is pam_ldap. I haven't tried out yet.
> But I'm sure you need to create users in postgresql. Just authentication
> comes through pam. There is no nss_ldap as far as I know.
>

> Tommi
>
> Am Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2002 21:38 schrieb Richard Ray:
> > Does anyone know if anyone has tried to use LDAP for authentication?
> > The management here is insisting on it. I'll write it from scratch if
> > neccassary. Any hints or pointers are appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Richard

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: LDAP authentication

From
Tommi Maekitalo
Date:
Hi,

I just tried out. Pam works fine with pam_ldap on linux. But as a told you
need to create databaseusers. I just configured postgresql with --with-pam
and created (or copied one and modified) a /etc/pam.d/postgresql. Her is it:

#%PAM-1.0
auth     required       pam_nologin.so
auth     sufficient     pam_ldap.so
auth     required       pam_unix.so      nullok try_first_pass #set_secrpc
account  sufficient     pam_ldap.so
account  required       pam_unix.so
password required       pam_pwcheck.so    nullok
password required       pam_ldap.so       use_first_pass use_authok
password required       pam_unix.so       nullok use_first_pass use_authtok

Maybe you can create users with a cronjob, which queries ldap on a daily base
about new (and retired) users. Postgresql do need entries in pg_shadow. I
think it would be hard to hack authentication so that it does not need.

It might be fine to see a generic way to create pg_shadow on the fly like nss
does. It should be a table-function, which might query a ldap-tree.

Tommi

--
Dr. Eckhardt + Partner GmbH
http://www.epgmbh.de

Re: LDAP authentication

From
Fathi Ben Nasr

Create a file named postgresql in your /etc/pam.d/ directory with this
content
#%PAM-1.0
auth required /lib/security/pam_ldap.so #nullok #set_secrpc
account required /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

and something like this in your pg_hba.conf
host all 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 pam

It worked for me. Unfortunately/fortunatly you have to create each user who
will
acces the database but this can be done easily (i.e. through a php script
on an
autheticated web location)

Fathi Ben Nasr

Tommi Mäkitalo a écrit :

> Postgresql supports pam. And there is pam_ldap. I haven't tried out yet.
But
> I'm sure you need to create users in postgresql. Just authentication
comes
> through pam. There is no nss_ldap as far as I know.
>
> Tommi
>
> Am Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2002 21:38 schrieb Richard Ray:
> > Does anyone know if anyone has tried to use LDAP for authentication?
> > The management here is insisting on it. I'll write it from scratch if
> > neccassary. Any hints or pointers are appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Richard
> >
> > ---------------------------(end of broadcast)

(See attached file: smime.p7s)
Attachment

Re: LDAP authentication

From
Ray Hunter
Date:
I have used LDAP authentication with PHP. It works really well..I have
even done it with using MS domain controllers to....

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 13:38, Richard Ray wrote:
> Does anyone know if anyone has tried to use LDAP for authentication?
> The management here is insisting on it. I'll write it from scratch if
> neccassary. Any hints or pointers are appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Richard

S RAY HUNTER
email:  shunter@venticon.com
email:  rhunter@venticon.com
www:    http://venticon.com

Re: LDAP authentication

From
evertcarton@netscape.net (Evert Carton)
Date:
It is true that you have to create the users on PostGreSQL level too.

But once they are created on PG-level, PAM does work fine.

I had the same problem. I create a utility that synchronises the
postgresql users/groups with LDAP. It is not done automatically. You
have to invoke a function for it.

It is pretty ugly for the moment, it was my first experience writing
C-functions for PostGreSQL. I am rewriting it for PostGreSQL 7.3b2,
which has a way nicer API for outputting tables in C.
It does indeed consist of some C and some PLPGSQL functions.

If you're interested, please shoot me an email ...

Evert