Can't write lock file

From
MT
Date:
I have Apache and Postgres set up on a Red Hat 7.1 system. I recently
added PHP in order to be able to use phpPgAdmin, and since then
postgresql is no longer working. Here's a broad outlineof what I did:

rpm -e PHP
Downloaded and compiled PHP 4.1.2
# ./configure --with-pgsql --with-xml --with-apxs=/etc/httpd/bin/apxs
recompiled apache 1.3.24 to use modules
restarted apache

Now I could see the phpPgAdmin page.
On viewing it a 2nd time I got:

You have chosen to download a file of type: application/x-httpd-php

At first I thought the problem was php related, until I realized I
couldn't access the database.

When I tried to manually start postgresql I got the following message:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data/
FATAL 1:  Can't write lock file /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock: No space left
on device

I read up on this but found no satisfactory solution.

Please help.

Mark

Re: Can't write lock file

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, MT wrote:

> I have Apache and Postgres set up on a Red Hat 7.1 system. I recently
> added PHP in order to be able to use phpPgAdmin, and since then
> postgresql is no longer working. Here's a broad outlineof what I did:
>
> rpm -e PHP
> Downloaded and compiled PHP 4.1.2
> # ./configure --with-pgsql --with-xml --with-apxs=/etc/httpd/bin/apxs
> recompiled apache 1.3.24 to use modules
> restarted apache
>
> [edited]
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data/
> FATAL 1:  Can't write lock file /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock: No space left
> on device
>
> I read up on this but found no satisfactory solution.

By this you mean that there is space left on the device? How much? It shouldn't
need too much but then you want a decent amount left for use by other things.

--
Nigel J. Andrews

Re: Can't write lock file

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, MT wrote:
>
> > I have Apache and Postgres set up on a Red Hat 7.1 system. I recently
> > added PHP in order to be able to use phpPgAdmin, and since then
> > postgresql is no longer working. Here's a broad outlineof what I did:
> >
> > rpm -e PHP
> > Downloaded and compiled PHP 4.1.2
> > # ./configure --with-pgsql --with-xml --with-apxs=/etc/httpd/bin/apxs
> > recompiled apache 1.3.24 to use modules
> > restarted apache
> >
> > [edited]
> >
> > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data/
> > FATAL 1:  Can't write lock file /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock: No space left
> > on device
> >
> > I read up on this but found no satisfactory solution.
>
> By this you mean that there is space left on the device? How much? It shouldn't
> need too much but then you want a decent amount left for use by other things.

Please note that you have to have free data blocks AND free inodes in the
directory tree.

I had an ext partition that ran out of inodes in the directory tree, and
couldn't write to the mounted partition, even though it was only about 20%
full at the time (lots of small files)

Also, many file systems reserve some small amount for root use only (about
1 to 5%) so your drive may look like this:

/dev/hda8             27886048  27328327    557721  98%   /mnt/28g

And still report being out of room.