Major Problem with locale

From
"Ben-Nes Michael"
Date:
Hi All

I posted a message about regex pattern matching using hebrew letters.

as no one answered me i reinstalled postgress thoug now i compiled it from
source using --enable-locale
then i did export LANG=he_IL and initdb.

what was diffrent then ver 7.1.3 was that initdb (7.2.2) didnt answered me
with the message that locale reduce speed.

how can i know that my db using specific locale ?

what cab be the couse that "l_name ~* '[[:<:]](xyz)[[:>:]]'" dont work for
some of the hebrew characters ?

Please help, i must resolve this problem.

Re: Major Problem with locale

Date:
"Ben-Nes Michael" <miki@canaan.co.il> writes:
> what was diffrent then ver 7.1.3 was that initdb (7.2.2) didnt answered me
> with the message that locale reduce speed.

7.2's initdb is a bit broken in this respect --- you won't see that
message unless you use -d (in which case you'll have to dig through
about 4meg worth of debug chatter :-().  This is repaired again for
7.3, though.

> how can i know that my db using specific locale ?

See contrib/pg_controldata if you want to be sure.

> what cab be the couse that "l_name ~* '[[:<:]](xyz)[[:>:]]'" dont work for
> some of the hebrew characters ?

Perhaps the regex support is missing info about this particular locale.
Feel free to send in a patch, if so ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Major Problem with locale

From
Jeff Eckermann
Date:
--- Ben-Nes Michael <miki@canaan.co.il> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I posted a message about regex pattern matching
> using hebrew letters.

If all else fails, and you really want to use regular
expressions, you can "import" the regular expression
capability of a Procedural Language, like:

create or replace function perl_match(text, text)
returns boolean as '
if ($_[0] =~ m/$_[1]/) {return true}
   else {return false};
' language 'plperl';

jeck=# select perl_match('a','\\x61');
 perl_match
------------
(1 row

Note the need to double the backslashes.
Using hex (or octal) escapes will enable you to match
any ascii character.  I don't believe that PostgreSQL
regular expressions support this (at least, I couldn't
get it to work).

Perl 5.6 also supports unicode, although I don't know
how that is implemented for regular expression matching.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Re: Major Problem with locale

From
"Ben-Nes Michael"
Date:
what i should patch ?
postgres files or maybe something else ?

> > what was diffrent then ver 7.1.3 was that initdb (7.2.2) didnt answered
me
> > with the message that locale reduce speed.
>
> 7.2's initdb is a bit broken in this respect --- you won't see that
> message unless you use -d (in which case you'll have to dig through
> about 4meg worth of debug chatter :-().  This is repaired again for
> 7.3, though.
>
> > how can i know that my db using specific locale ?
>
> See contrib/pg_controldata if you want to be sure.
>
> > what cab be the couse that "l_name ~* '[[:<:]](xyz)[[:>:]]'" dont work
for
> > some of the hebrew characters ?
>
> Perhaps the regex support is missing info about this particular locale.
> Feel free to send in a patch, if so ...
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: Major Problem with locale

From
Dan Ostrowski
Date:
Does postgres support the "concat" functionality?  I looked in the
interactive docs but couldn't find it... i am still looking but if you
know one way or the other could you tell me?

I am just checking for compatiblity... i want to "SELECT
CONCAT(table.somefield,' ',table.somefield) AS FullName FROM table"

is this supported or do you use another notation.

thanks very much all..
dan

Re: Major Problem with locale

From
Darren Ferguson
Date:
Postgres supports concat with the ||

so you can do the following

Select first_name||' '||last_name AS full_name FROM users;

HTH

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Dan Ostrowski wrote:

> Does postgres support the "concat" functionality?  I looked in the
> interactive docs but couldn't find it... i am still looking but if you
> know one way or the other could you tell me?
>
> I am just checking for compatiblity... i want to "SELECT
> CONCAT(table.somefield,' ',table.somefield) AS FullName FROM table"
>
> is this supported or do you use another notation.
>
> thanks very much all..
> dan

Darren Ferguson