Nicer dump files?

From
Gerhard Häring
Date:
Ok, now I have played with psql and created a few tables. If I use
pg_dump I get relatively awkward scripts that look like:

       CREATE TABLE "person" (
        "id" integer DEFAULT nextval('"person_id_seq"'::text) NOT NULL,
        "login" character varying(20) NOT NULL,

Is there a way to get a nicer looking script that will look like:

    create table person (
        id int serial,
        login varchar(20) not null

? IOW similar to the commands one would use as a human to create the
tables?

Another somehow related question:

Are there any db design tools like Sybase PowerDesigner that support
PostgreSQL? Perhaps in a more reasonable price range?

Thanks,

-- Gerhard

Re: Nicer dump files?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 18:54, Gerhard Häring wrote:
> Ok, now I have played with psql and created a few tables. If I use
> pg_dump I get relatively awkward scripts that look like:
>
>        CREATE TABLE "person" (
>         "id" integer DEFAULT nextval('"person_id_seq"'::text) NOT NULL,
>         "login" character varying(20) NOT NULL,
>
> Is there a way to get a nicer looking script that will look like:
>
>     create table person (
>         id int serial,
>         login varchar(20) not null
>
> ? IOW similar to the commands one would use as a human to create the
> tables?

I guess you could write some type of script to replace the values,
though I don't see much advantage in that.

> Another somehow related question:
>
> Are there any db design tools like Sybase PowerDesigner that support
> PostgreSQL? Perhaps in a more reasonable price range?

I'm not overly familiar with PowerDesigner, but I use CASE Studio 2 and
it works pretty well.  There is a list of other tools at
http://techdocs.postgresql.org, look for ERD and/or Case tools.

Robert Treat

Re: Nicer dump files?

From
Manfred Koizar
Date:
On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:54:16 +0000 (UTC), Gerhard Häring
<haering_postgresql@gmx.de> wrote:
>Ok, now I have played with psql and created a few tables. If I use
>pg_dump I get relatively awkward scripts that look like:
>
>       CREATE TABLE "person" (
>        "id" integer DEFAULT nextval('"person_id_seq"'::text) NOT NULL,
>        "login" character varying(20) NOT NULL,
>
>Is there a way to get a nicer looking script that will look like:
>
>    create table person (
>        id int serial,
>        login varchar(20) not null

Gerhard,

pg_dump --help
  -n, --no-quotes          suppress most quotes around identifiers

Is this what you want?

Servus
 Manfred