Re: Nicer dump files? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Nicer dump files?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 18:54, Gerhard Häring wrote:
> Ok, now I have played with psql and created a few tables. If I use
> pg_dump I get relatively awkward scripts that look like:
>
>        CREATE TABLE "person" (
>         "id" integer DEFAULT nextval('"person_id_seq"'::text) NOT NULL,
>         "login" character varying(20) NOT NULL,
>
> Is there a way to get a nicer looking script that will look like:
>
>     create table person (
>         id int serial,
>         login varchar(20) not null
>
> ? IOW similar to the commands one would use as a human to create the
> tables?

I guess you could write some type of script to replace the values,
though I don't see much advantage in that.

> Another somehow related question:
>
> Are there any db design tools like Sybase PowerDesigner that support
> PostgreSQL? Perhaps in a more reasonable price range?

I'm not overly familiar with PowerDesigner, but I use CASE Studio 2 and
it works pretty well.  There is a list of other tools at
http://techdocs.postgresql.org, look for ERD and/or Case tools.

Robert Treat