general trouble installing languages

From
Cindy
Date:
I suspect at this point I may need to recompile things?  I'm not sure
what the trouble is.  Can I try the directions in
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?plperl-install.html
in lieu of a complete recompilation?  The runit does indicate that
with-perl was included, so I don't understand why this didn't
work, but perhaps (see below) because the timestamps are different?

I didn't have any better luck with trying to createlang on plpgsql either...

(Also, trying to link libperl.so.1 to libperl.so failed.  And I don't think
it's a shared library problem, as I'm not getting that message anywhere.)

The error message is now a bit more detailed:

> createlang -L /usr/local/pgsql/lib -d Text plperl
ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plperl.so failed: ld.so.1: /usr/local
/pgsql/bin/postmaster: fatal: libperl.so.1: open failed: No such file or direct
ory
createlang: language installation failed

I am running this command from the account under which psql was installed
& started (which shd be superuser).

I do note that:
> ls -l /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plperl.so
- -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      93252 Feb 25  2002 /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpe
rl.so*

is earlier than the dates of the compilation in the src/pl dir:
> ls -l /export/home/download/postgresql-7.2/src/pl/plperl/
total 184
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other        754 Sep 16  2001 GNUmakefile
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other      17459 Aug 16 14:21 Makefile
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other       2317 Aug 26  2001 Makefile.PL
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other        440 Dec 19  2000 README
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other       2402 Aug 16 14:21 SPI.c
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other       7396 Aug 16 14:21 SPI.o
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other       1211 Jun  8  2001 SPI.xs
drwxr-xr-x   4 nishad   other        512 Aug 16 14:21 blib/
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other        325 Jun  8  2001 eloglvl.c
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other         78 Jun  8  2001 eloglvl.h
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other       2008 Aug 16 14:21 eloglvl.o
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other          0 Aug 16 14:21 plperl.bs
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other      24021 Jan 24  2002 plperl.c
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other      18468 Aug 16 14:21 plperl.o
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other          0 Aug 16 14:21 pm_to_blib
- -rw-r--r--   1 nishad   other       7519 Nov  5  2001 ppport.h

Hm....???  Perhaps recompilation is in order...  Or just reinstallation?
(of what?  no .so file here)

Thanks,
--Cindy

Re: general trouble installing languages

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 18:46, Cindy wrote:

> I suspect at this point I may need to recompile things?  I'm not sure
> what the trouble is.  Can I try the directions in
> The error message is now a bit more detailed:
>
> > createlang -L /usr/local/pgsql/lib -d Text plperl
> ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plperl.so failed: ld.so.1: /usr/local
> /pgsql/bin/postmaster: fatal: libperl.so.1: open failed: No such file or direct
> ory
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is missing libperl, that is the shared library version of Perl
itself.  This is not part of PostgreSQL, so rebuilding PostgreSQL will
do you no good at all.

You need to build Perl from source or install a shared library package
of it.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the
      firstfruits of all thine increase; So shall thy barns
      be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out
      with new wine."      Proverbs 3:9,10

Date:
Oliver Elphick writes:

 > Cindy wrote:
 >> ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plperl.so failed: ld.so.1: /usr/l
 >ocal
 >> /pgsql/bin/postmaster: fatal: libperl.so.1: open failed: No such file or di
 >rect
 >> ory
 >                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >
 >It is missing libperl, that is the shared library version of Perl
 >itself.  This is not part of PostgreSQL, so rebuilding PostgreSQL will
 >do you no good at all.
 >
 >You need to build Perl from source or install a shared library package
 >of it.

Thanks. I guess I was looking for a message more like that indicated
in the install docs, but since I didn't do the initial installation,
for all I know that was overlooked.  I'll ask our admin about the
shared library package.  They probably have it in a nonstandard
directory <sigh>.

--
Cindy
ctmoore@uci.edu

Cindy writes:
 >Thanks. I guess I was looking for a message more like that indicated
 >in the install docs, but since I didn't do the initial installation,
 >for all I know that was overlooked.  I'll ask our admin about the
 >shared library package.  They probably have it in a nonstandard
 >directory <sigh>.

OK, related question while I wait for my admin to respond.  Assuming
the shared libary package is available in some other directory, I'm
assuming I'm still going to have to do something to wind up with a
libperl.so in the /usr/local/pgsql/lib directory.

And I'm guessing that's what is outlined in
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?plperl-install.html

??

Cindy, impatient :-)
ctmoore@uci.edu

Re: general trouble installing languages

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Tuesday 17 September 2002 02:42 pm, Cindy wrote:
> OK, related question while I wait for my admin to respond.  Assuming
> the shared libary package is available in some other directory, I'm
> assuming I'm still going to have to do something to wind up with a
> libperl.so in the /usr/local/pgsql/lib directory.

Perl itself has to be rebuilt to provide libperl.so
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: general trouble installing languages

From
Larry Rosenman
Date:
On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 13:47, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 September 2002 02:42 pm, Cindy wrote:
> > OK, related question while I wait for my admin to respond.  Assuming
> > the shared libary package is available in some other directory, I'm
> > assuming I'm still going to have to do something to wind up with a
> > libperl.so in the /usr/local/pgsql/lib directory.
>
> Perl itself has to be rebuilt to provide libperl.so
FWIW, it seems perl 5.8 gets this right. LER

Date:
Lamar Owen writes:
 >On Tuesday 17 September 2002 02:42 pm, Cindy wrote:
 >> OK, related question while I wait for my admin to respond.  Assuming
 >> the shared libary package is available in some other directory, I'm
 >> assuming I'm still going to have to do something to wind up with a
 >> libperl.so in the /usr/local/pgsql/lib directory.
 >
 >Perl itself has to be rebuilt to provide libperl.so

Not if the shared library is in fact already built?  It very well
may be on this system, I'm working at a university which has an
overall administration in place on top of the individual unix boxes,
and practically nothing is in standard paths (infuriating, but...).
So if it's already there, just in some oddball directory, I shd
be able to use it?

They may have to recompile, if htis is the dir (I'm guessing,
though)
> ls /dcs/lib/perl/
abbrev.pl          fmtmsg.ph          netdir.ph          std.ph
admin/             form.ph            netinet/           stdarg.ph
alloca.ph          ftw.ph             newgetopt.pl       stddef.ph
ar.ph              getcwd.pl          nfs/               stdio.ph
archives.ph        getopt.pl          nl_types.ph        stdlib.ph
arpa/              getopts.pl         nlist.ph           storclass.ph
assert.ph          getwidth.ph        nsaddr.ph          string.ph
assert.pl          grp.ph             nserve.ph          stropts.ph
bigfloat.pl        ieeefp.ph          nsswitch.ph        sum.ph
bigint.pl          importenv.pl       open2.pl           syms.ph
bigrat.pl          inet/              panel.ph           sys/
cacheout.pl        kerberos/          perldb.pl          syslog.ph
chat2.pl           kstat.ph           ph.pl              syslog.pl
complete.pl        kvm.ph             pkgdev.ph          table.ph
core               langinfo.ph        pkginfo.ph         tar.ph
cpio.ph            lastlog.ph         pkglocs.ph         term.ph
crypt.ph           libelf.ph          pkgstrct.ph        termcap.pl
ctime.pl           libgen.ph          pkgtrans.ph        termio.ph
ctype.ph           libgenIO.ph        pn.ph              termios.ph
curses.ph          libintl.ph         poll.ph            time.ph
deflt.ph           libw.ph            prof.ph            timelocal.pl
des/               limits.ph          protocols/         tiuser.ph
devmgmt.ph         linenum.ph         pw.ph              tzfile.ph
dial.ph            link.ph            pwd.ph             ucontext.ph
dirent.ph          listen.ph          pwd.pl             ulimit.ph
dlfcn.ph           locale.ph          regexp.ph          unctrl.ph
dumpvar.pl         look.pl            regexpr.ph         unistd.ph
elf.ph             macros.ph          resolv.ph          userdefs.ph
errno.ph           maillock.ph        rje.ph             ustat.ph
eti.ph             malloc.ph          rpc/               utime.ph
euc.ph             math.ph            rpcsvc/            utmp.ph
exceptions.pl      memory.ph          sac.ph             utmpx.ph
fastcwd.pl         menu.ph            search.ph          validate.pl
fatal.ph           mon.ph             setjmp.ph          valtools.ph
fcntl.ph           mp.ph              sgtty.ph           values.ph
find.pl            nan.ph             shadow.ph          varargs.ph
finddepth.pl       ndbm.ph            shellwords.pl      vm/
float.ph           net/               siginfo.ph         wait.ph
floatingpoint.ph   netconfig.ph       signal.ph          wctype.ph
flush.pl           netdb.ph           stat.pl            widec.ph

since I dont see libperl.* up there.

So what exactly does the make install from the src/pl/plperl directory
do, then?  And would I have to do it once libperl.whatever became available?

Oh, and if libperl.so is from a perl compilation why is it in psql's lib
dir?  Does it get copied there at some point in installation?

--
Cindy
ctmoore@uci.edu

Date:
On Tuesday 17 September 2002 02:58 pm, Cindy wrote:
> Lamar Owen writes:
>  >On Tuesday 17 September 2002 02:42 pm, Cindy wrote:
>  >> OK, related question while I wait for my admin to respond.  Assuming
>  >> the shared libary package is available in some other directory, I'm
>  >> assuming I'm still going to have to do something to wind up with a
>  >> libperl.so in the /usr/local/pgsql/lib directory.

>  >Perl itself has to be rebuilt to provide libperl.so

> Not if the shared library is in fact already built?  It very well
> may be on this system, I'm working at a university which has an
> overall administration in place on top of the individual unix boxes,
> and practically nothing is in standard paths (infuriating, but...).
> So if it's already there, just in some oddball directory, I shd
> be able to use it?

> Oh, and if libperl.so is from a perl compilation why is it in psql's lib
> dir?  Does it get copied there at some point in installation?

The file libperl.so is a dynamically linkable version of the embeddable
libperl.a.  This allows an extension module to embed perl in itself.  The
plperl.so module is a 'wrapper' with a few extra features that embeds the
whole perl interpreter (libperl.so) into the backend.

It shouldn't be in the psql libdir; it should be in a system libdir.  If you
have sufficient privileges to do so, do a 'find / -name "libperl.so*" -print'
and see if it is anywhere on your system in a place the dynamic loader
(ld.so) can find it.

To recap:
1.)    plperl.so is the PL/Perl extension module provided as part of the
PostgreSQL distribution;
2.)    libperl.so is the perl interpreter suitable for dynamic loading into an
extension module and is provided by the perl package;
3.)    1 uses 2.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: general trouble installing languages

From
GB Clark
Date:
On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:46:35 -0700
Cindy <ctmoore@uci.edu> wrote:

<SNIP>

> > createlang -L /usr/local/pgsql/lib -d Text plperl
> ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plperl.so failed: ld.so.1: /usr/local
> /pgsql/bin/postmaster: fatal: libperl.so.1: open failed: No such file or direct
> ory
> createlang: language installation failed
<SNIP>
Ok, a major question, what OS and version are you running?  This would help things out.

> Thanks,
> --Cindy

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek