Web application frameworks supporting PostgreSQL

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
If there's a more appropriate forum to ask this, feel free to point
me at it.

I'm looking for a decent web application framework that has good
support for PostgreSQL (as opposed to the many that only support
MySQL well, and other databases kinda, if at all).

In the past I've looked at AOLServer/OpenACS, Apache/ColdFusion,
Apache/php and various java based setups. None of them are in the
running, for reasons that come down to personal prejudice as much
as anything else.

So... I'm probably looking for something with a C/C++ backend[1] or
something Apache/mod_perl/{template-toolkit/Mason} based, more likely
the latter.

Has anyone done this, and have any opinions on how which systems are
worth considering, given that I'll be using a PostgreSQL backend.

Cheers,
  Steve

[1] http://samspade.org/ is running on a custom webserver highly
    integrated with PostgreSQL, using C++ servlets to generate
    all the content. I'm toying with open-sourcing it, under the
    same license as postgresql. Any opinions on that?

Re: Web application frameworks supporting PostgreSQL

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Steve,

we've developed a bunch of web sites using our Xware web site management
system. From my experience, combination of apache+mod_perl+Mason+PostgreSQL
is a good choice.  I don't think you need C/C++ backend. What's the win ?
Properly tuned apache+mod_perl has a great performance while being flexible.

    Oleg
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Steve Atkins wrote:

> If there's a more appropriate forum to ask this, feel free to point
> me at it.
>
> I'm looking for a decent web application framework that has good
> support for PostgreSQL (as opposed to the many that only support
> MySQL well, and other databases kinda, if at all).
>
> In the past I've looked at AOLServer/OpenACS, Apache/ColdFusion,
> Apache/php and various java based setups. None of them are in the
> running, for reasons that come down to personal prejudice as much
> as anything else.
>
> So... I'm probably looking for something with a C/C++ backend[1] or
> something Apache/mod_perl/{template-toolkit/Mason} based, more likely
> the latter.
>
> Has anyone done this, and have any opinions on how which systems are
> worth considering, given that I'll be using a PostgreSQL backend.
>
> Cheers,
>   Steve
>
> [1] http://samspade.org/ is running on a custom webserver highly
>     integrated with PostgreSQL, using C++ servlets to generate
>     all the content. I'm toying with open-sourcing it, under the
>     same license as postgresql. Any opinions on that?

        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83