upgrade to 7.2 & pgdumpall

From
"Ben-Nes Michael"
Date:
Hi All

I ran:
dumpall -o -h host > all_7.1.3-db.dump ( using the running server 7.1.3 )
/usr/local/pg-7.2/bin/psql -p 5555 -d template1 -f ./all_7.1.3-db.dump
(using the 7.2 psql)

and got many errors, here is some examples:

ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'oid'
ERROR:  relation "pgadmin_checks" not found
ERROR:  relation "pgadmin_groups" not found
ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'indislossy'
ERROR:  relation "pgadmin_indexes" not found

I browsed the tables briefly ( on the 7.2 ) and it seemed ok.
is it ok ?

--------------------------
Canaan Surfing Ltd.
Internet Service Providers
Ben-Nes Michael - Manager
Tel: 972-4-6991122
http://sites.canaan.co.il
--------------------------

Re: upgrade to 7.2 & pgdumpall

Date:
"Ben-Nes Michael" <miki@canaan.co.il> writes:
> I ran:
> dumpall -o -h host > all_7.1.3-db.dump ( using the running server 7.1.3 )
> /usr/local/pg-7.2/bin/psql -p 5555 -d template1 -f ./all_7.1.3-db.dump
> (using the 7.2 psql)

> and got many errors, here is some examples:

> ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'oid'
> ERROR:  relation "pgadmin_checks" not found
> ERROR:  relation "pgadmin_groups" not found
> ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'indislossy'
> ERROR:  relation "pgadmin_indexes" not found

Looks like you've got a bunch of pgadmin tables and functions in there.
AFAIK, pgadmin is not compatible with 7.2.  You could try pgadmin II
instead.

            regards, tom lane

Re: upgrade to 7.2 & pgdumpall

From
"Ben-Nes Michael"
Date:
Amazing, I didn't knew that pgadmin install tables & function in my DB & I
don't really like it.

But still if it was legal relation in 7.1.3 why its not legal in 7.2 ?
And what with the oid error ?

Does pgadmin II install relations of its own in the DB too ?
That strange as client suppose to be passive toward the server.

> > dumpall -o -h host > all_7.1.3-db.dump ( using the running server
7.1.3 )
> > /usr/local/pg-7.2/bin/psql -p 5555 -d template1 -f ./all_7.1.3-db.dump
> > (using the 7.2 psql)
>
> > and got many errors, here is some examples:
>
> > ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'oid'
> > ERROR:  relation "pgadmin_checks" not found
> > ERROR:  relation "pgadmin_groups" not found
> > ERROR:  No such attribute or function 'indislossy'
> > ERROR:  relation "pgadmin_indexes" not found
>
> Looks like you've got a bunch of pgadmin tables and functions in there.
> AFAIK, pgadmin is not compatible with 7.2.  You could try pgadmin II
> instead.
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: upgrade to 7.2 & pgdumpall

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Mercredi 20 Février 2002 10:12, Ben-Nes Michael a écrit :
> Amazing, I didn't knew that pgadmin install tables & function in my DB & I
> don't really like it.
>
> But still if it was legal relation in 7.1.3 why its not legal in 7.2 ?
> And what with the oid error ?
>
> Does pgadmin II install relations of its own in the DB too ?
> That strange as client suppose to be passive toward the server.

Dear Michael,

pgAdmin2 has its own abstraction layer called pgSchema. There are no
supplementary relations needed. So, do not hesitate to upgrade to pgAdmin2 at
http://pgadmin.postgresql.org.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: upgrade to 7.2 & pgdumpall

Date:
"Ben-Nes Michael" <miki@canaan.co.il> writes:
> But still if it was legal relation in 7.1.3 why its not legal in 7.2 ?

pgadmin is making assumptions about the system catalog contents that
aren't true anymore in 7.2.  Thus its views on the catalogs break.

> Does pgadmin II install relations of its own in the DB too ?

I think they're views, not tables.  Still, I agree that there's no
really good reason to have them.  As for whether pgadmin II is less
intrusive, you'll have to go ask its developers.

            regards, tom lane

Re: upgrade to 7.2 & pgdumpall

From
"Peter Darley"
Date:
Jean-Michel,
    Just to make sure I'm not screwing something up, if I've started using
pgAdmin2 and stopped using pgAdmin, I can drop all the pgadmin_*
tables/views/functions/etc. from my databases with no ill effects, right?
Thanks,
Peter Darley

Le Mercredi 20 Février 2002 10:12, Ben-Nes Michael a écrit :
> Amazing, I didn't knew that pgadmin install tables & function in my DB & I
> don't really like it.
>
> But still if it was legal relation in 7.1.3 why its not legal in 7.2 ?
> And what with the oid error ?
>
> Does pgadmin II install relations of its own in the DB too ?
> That strange as client suppose to be passive toward the server.

Dear Michael,

pgAdmin2 has its own abstraction layer called pgSchema. There are no
supplementary relations needed. So, do not hesitate to upgrade to pgAdmin2
at
http://pgadmin.postgresql.org.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: upgrade to 7.2 & pgdumpall

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Mercredi 20 Février 2002 20:24, Peter Darley a écrit :
> Jean-Michel,
>         Just to make sure I'm not screwing something up, if I've started
> using pgAdmin2 and stopped using pgAdmin, I can drop all the pgadmin_*
> tables/views/functions/etc. from my databases with no ill effects, right?
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

Yes, you can delete the pgadmin_* objects.
Regards,
Jean-Michel POURE