First time installer !!

From
Mayan
Date:
Ok folks, I have successfully installed Postgresql 7.3.1. in my Debian
Potato running on a P133. Actually, it was easier than what I expected.
All the necessary steps for the installation are outlined in the INSTALL
file.
There is one question I have for which I could not find an answer in
this file though,  what do I do to make Postgresql sever to start
at boot time while at the same time kill in it at shutdown time?
Thanks in advance.

Re: First time installer !!

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
> file. There is one question I have for which I could not find an answer in
> this file though,  what do I do to make Postgresql sever to start at boot
> time while at the same time kill in it at shutdown time?

I don't run potato, but in the testing distro it seems to put a link in the
/etc/rc2.d/ to an init script in /etc/init.d/

If it doesn't, you can probably set one up yourself using pg_ctl (which is
probably in/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/).

Good luck with postgres!

Jeff

Re: First time installer !!

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Mayan wrote:

> Ok folks, I have successfully installed Postgresql 7.3.1. in my Debian

<smartass-mode>

   Wow!  Have you got a time machine?                ^^^^^

</smartass-mode>

Yeah, I know - 7.1.3!

Rod
--
                      Let Accuracy Triumph Over Victory

                                                       Zetetic Institute
                                                        "David's Sling"
                                                         Marc Stiegler

Re: First time installer !!

From
Mayan
Date:
"Roderick A. Anderson" wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Mayan wrote:
>
> > Ok folks, I have successfully installed Postgresql 7.3.1. in my Debian
>
> <smartass-mode>
>
>    Wow!  Have you got a time machine?                ^^^^^
>
> </smartass-mode>
>
> Yeah, I know - 7.1.3!
>
> Rod
> --
>                       Let Accuracy Triumph Over Victory
>
>                                                        Zetetic Institute
>                                                         "David's Sling"
>                                                          Marc Stiegler

What do you mean..?

Re: First time installer !!

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Mayan wrote:

> What do you mean..?

PostgreSQL 7.2 was just released this week.  7.1.3 is the previous
version.  7.3.1 is in the future.

Rod
--
                      Let Accuracy Triumph Over Victory

                                                       Zetetic Institute
                                                        "David's Sling"
                                                         Marc Stiegler

Re: First time installer !!

From
Jeff Self
Date:
On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 09:13, Mayan wrote:Ok folks, I have successfully
installed Postgresql 7.3.1. in my Debian Potato running on a P133.
Actually, it was easier than what I expected.  All the necessary steps
for the installation are outlined in the INSTALL file.
There is one question I have for which I could not find an answer in
this file though,  what do I do to make Postgresql sever to start at
boot time while at the same time kill in it at shutdown time?

Thanks in advance.
If you're running Debian, there's no need to do a source install. Oliver
Elphick's debian packages work great. You can find Postgresql 7.1.3
packages in the unstable group.

--
Jeff Self
Information Technology Analyst

Re: First time installer !!

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 21:00, Jeff Self wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 09:13, Mayan wrote:Ok folks, I have successfully
> installed Postgresql 7.3.1. in my Debian Potato running on a P133.
> Actually, it was easier than what I expected.  All the necessary steps
> for the installation are outlined in the INSTALL file.
> There is one question I have for which I could not find an answer in
> this file though,  what do I do to make Postgresql sever to start at
> boot time while at the same time kill in it at shutdown time?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> If you're running Debian, there's no need to do a source install. Oliver
> Elphick's debian packages work great. You can find Postgresql 7.1.3
> packages in the unstable group.

If you install a Debian package, stopping at shutdown is taken care of
by the packaging.  This involves creating K... entries in /etc/rc[016].d
which are run at shutdown time.

If you need to do this for your own locally built package, Debian
provides the command update-rc.d.  Check its man page for details.

     "The earth is the LORD'S, and the fullness thereof; the
      world, and they that dwell therein."
                                   Psalms 24:1