Re: First time installer !! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: First time installer !!
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 21:00, Jeff Self wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 09:13, Mayan wrote:Ok folks, I have successfully
> installed Postgresql 7.3.1. in my Debian Potato running on a P133.
> Actually, it was easier than what I expected.  All the necessary steps
> for the installation are outlined in the INSTALL file.
> There is one question I have for which I could not find an answer in
> this file though,  what do I do to make Postgresql sever to start at
> boot time while at the same time kill in it at shutdown time?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> If you're running Debian, there's no need to do a source install. Oliver
> Elphick's debian packages work great. You can find Postgresql 7.1.3
> packages in the unstable group.

If you install a Debian package, stopping at shutdown is taken care of
by the packaging.  This involves creating K... entries in /etc/rc[016].d
which are run at shutdown time.

If you need to do this for your own locally built package, Debian
provides the command update-rc.d.  Check its man page for details.

     "The earth is the LORD'S, and the fullness thereof; the
      world, and they that dwell therein."
                                   Psalms 24:1