Solaris performance

From
Achilleus Mantzios
Date:
Mark you said Solaris 2x450 E220R is generally much faster than any intel.
Well we are running a jboss 2.4.3/PostgreSQL7.1.2 on a

a) Linux 2.4.7 on a pentium iii 1GHz, 256 KB cache, 1Gb main mem with cheap
 ide disks for development and on a
b) Solaris 8 Generic_108528-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80, 2x450 MHz,
4Mb cache, 4Gb main mem, with EMC raid arrays

In every test, (awk, gwak, gcc compiled programs, dd tests on both local
scsi/ide, long postgres queries, java ejbs, java servlets) solaris performs
slower at least 2 times than linux.

Can you point me with an app that Solaris performs better??
Thanks for any clue, cause we are about to drop solaris and its cost
for good.

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
tel:    +30-10-8981112
fax:    +30-10-8981877
email:  it@dynacomtm.com
        rnd@gatewaynet.com

Re: Solaris performance

From
Mark kirkwood
Date:
Err yes...

I said "faster than any Intel I have access to...", I should have said
that the fastest Intel I actually had access to was 2xPIII 500Mhz
running vanilla RedHat 7.1 !

The product I used for testing was DB2 7.2 (which in hindsight may not
be the fairest, as I am told that Solaris is regarded as "one of the
best" DB2 platforms - which I guess may mean "has had a lot of tuning
work done on"...)

With respect to the point I think you are working towards... I would
completely agree... if you can run everything you need on Intel + Linux,
with no performance loss - then dumping Solaris seems like a good idea,
as the cost-effectiveness of Intel vs Sparc cannot be doubted.

(and if your getting performance gains to boot, sounds like a winner to
me)

best wishes

Mark