Solaris performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject Solaris performance
Date
List pgsql-general
Mark you said Solaris 2x450 E220R is generally much faster than any intel.
Well we are running a jboss 2.4.3/PostgreSQL7.1.2 on a

a) Linux 2.4.7 on a pentium iii 1GHz, 256 KB cache, 1Gb main mem with cheap
 ide disks for development and on a
b) Solaris 8 Generic_108528-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80, 2x450 MHz,
4Mb cache, 4Gb main mem, with EMC raid arrays

In every test, (awk, gwak, gcc compiled programs, dd tests on both local
scsi/ide, long postgres queries, java ejbs, java servlets) solaris performs
slower at least 2 times than linux.

Can you point me with an app that Solaris performs better??
Thanks for any clue, cause we are about to drop solaris and its cost
for good.

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept