Remote Access to pgsql DB ???

From
Fariba Noorbakhsh
Date:
Hi,

I have a question about remote access to Pgsql DB. I acctually want to
access mydb which located on a Unix server called ORION from another
Unix server called OMEGA.

According to documentation I have to run postmaster on ORION with -i
option like:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &

 so I have done that, I also changed pg_hba.conf  on ORION  for  OMEGA
IP address like:

host         all         172.21.2.41    255.255.255.255     trust

But still I can not run psql mydb from Omega:

psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
        Is the postmaster running locally
        and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?

Why should I get this error when I have run postmaster with -i on ORION?

Shall I run that on OMEGA as well, then it's not a remote access?!!!

I appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance,
Fariba

Re: Remote Access to pgsql DB ???

From
Brent Verner
Date:
[2001-12-04 15:35] Fariba Noorbakhsh said:
| Hi,
|
| I have a question about remote access to Pgsql DB. I acctually want to
| access mydb which located on a Unix server called ORION from another
| Unix server called OMEGA.
|
| According to documentation I have to run postmaster on ORION with -i
| option like:
|
| /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &
  [snip]
| But still I can not run psql mydb from Omega:

You need to say "psql -h orion mydb"

cheers
  brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman

Re: Remote Access to pgsql DB ???

From
tony
Date:
On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 15:44, Brent Verner wrote:
> [2001-12-04 15:35] Fariba Noorbakhsh said:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I have a question about remote access to Pgsql DB. I acctually want to
> | access mydb which located on a Unix server called ORION from another
> | Unix server called OMEGA.
> |
> | According to documentation I have to run postmaster on ORION with -i
> | option like:
> |
> | /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &
>   [snip]
> | But still I can not run psql mydb from Omega:
>
> You need to say "psql -h orion mydb"

An even better way is to SSH to the machine and run either psql or
pgaccess over the secure connection.

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S
http://www.animaproductions.com/linux2.html

Re: Remote Access to pgsql DB ???

From
"John Gray"
Date:
In article <3C0CDF34.CC972E7C@ccs-munich.de>, "Fariba Noorbakhsh"
<fNoorbakhsh@tecways.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about remote access to Pgsql DB. I acctually want to
> access mydb which located on a Unix server called ORION from another
> Unix server called OMEGA.
>
> According to documentation I have to run postmaster on ORION with -i
> option like:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &
>
>  so I have done that, I also changed pg_hba.conf  on ORION  for  OMEGA
> IP address like:
>
> host         all         172.21.2.41    255.255.255.255     trust
>
> But still I can not run psql mydb from Omega:
>
> psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
>         Is the postmaster running locally
>         and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?

This suggests that psql is trying to connect to a local postmaster. The
-h option to psql tells it which host to connect to. In your case:

psql -h orion mydb

should do what you want.

Regards

John
--
John Gray
Azuli IT    http://www.azuli.co.uk      +44 121 693 3397

Re: Remote Access to pgsql DB ???

From
"Steve Brett"
Date:
i don't know if you can use psql to connect to remote servers - in fact i
think you can't.

try connecting from omega using a tool such as pgaccess in xwindows and you
should be fine
or telnet or ssh onto the orion box from omega and run psql from there
i use IVT-TELNET for this at work.

Steve

"Fariba Noorbakhsh" <fNoorbakhsh@tecways.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about remote access to Pgsql DB. I acctually want to
> access mydb which located on a Unix server called ORION from another
> Unix server called OMEGA.
>
> According to documentation I have to run postmaster on ORION with -i
> option like:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &
>
>  so I have done that, I also changed pg_hba.conf  on ORION  for  OMEGA
> IP address like:
>
> host         all         172.21.2.41    255.255.255.255     trust
>
> But still I can not run psql mydb from Omega:
>
> psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
>         Is the postmaster running locally
>         and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?
>
> Why should I get this error when I have run postmaster with -i on ORION?
>
> Shall I run that on OMEGA as well, then it's not a remote access?!!!
>
> I appreciate your help!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Fariba

Re: Remote Access to pgsql DB ???

From
Holger Krug
Date:
On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 01:01:46PM -0000, Steve Brett wrote:
> i don't know if you can use psql to connect to remote servers - in fact i
> think you can't.

You can.

--
Holger Krug
hkrug@rationalizer.com

Re: Remote Access to pgsql DB ???

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
"Steve Brett" <steve.brett@e-mis.com> writes:

> i don't know if you can use psql to connect to remote servers - in fact i
> think you can't.

Of course you can.

$ psql -h <hostname> -p <port>

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: Remote Access to pgsql DB ???

From
"Campano, Troy"
Date:
I think you can.

I have a linux node named BETALIN and another linux node that has the
database on it named ARCHER.

I log into BETALIN and at the command prompt I run:

psql databasename -U username --host=archer

I also use pgadmin to access the database from a Windows machine (this uses
ODBC)

Make sure you have the ip's set correctly in pg_hba.conf

i don't know if you can use psql to connect to remote servers - in fact i
think you can't.

try connecting from omega using a tool such as pgaccess in xwindows and you
should be fine or telnet or ssh onto the orion box from omega and run psql
from there i use IVT-TELNET for this at work.

Steve

"Fariba Noorbakhsh" <fNoorbakhsh@tecways.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about remote access to Pgsql DB. I acctually want to
> access mydb which located on a Unix server called ORION from another
> Unix server called OMEGA.
>
> According to documentation I have to run postmaster on ORION with -i
> option like:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &
>
>  so I have done that, I also changed pg_hba.conf  on ORION  for  OMEGA
> IP address like:
>
> host         all         172.21.2.41    255.255.255.255     trust
>
> But still I can not run psql mydb from Omega:
>
> psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
>         Is the postmaster running locally
>         and accepting connections on Unix socket '/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432'?
>
> Why should I get this error when I have run postmaster with -i on
> ORION?
>
> Shall I run that on OMEGA as well, then it's not a remote access?!!!
>
> I appreciate your help!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Fariba
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Remote Access to pgsql DB ???

From
"Nick Fankhauser"
Date:
You definitely can do a remote connect- I do all of my work this way, and it
runs smoothly.

In addition to Troy's suggestions you might also check to be sure the host
DB is really running with -i set on it. You should be able to see the whole
command line for the postmaster that is running with a "ps ax". It seems
like quite a few folks have trouble with a startup script somewhere
subverting their intentions. If you're on 7.1 or above, it is better to set
tcpip_socket=1 in the postgresql.conf file.

-Nick