Installing Libraries on remote pc

From
Stuart Grimshaw
Date:
I have an application that can log it's results to a postgres database. I am
unable to install PostgreSQL on the remote OPC so I want to have it log its
results to one of the other PostgreSQL servers I have.

Is it possible to just install the libpq library without having to install
the full PostgreSQL, as I doubt there would be enough disk space to even
unpack the tarball.

--

| Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@footballnet.com>
| Chief Operations Officer
| Football Networks Ltd
|-
| t:07976 625221
| f:0870 7060260

Re: Installing Libraries on remote pc

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 09:25:53AM +0000, Stuart Grimshaw wrote:
> I have an application that can log it's results to a postgres database. I am
> unable to install PostgreSQL on the remote OPC so I want to have it log its
> results to one of the other PostgreSQL servers I have.
>
> Is it possible to just install the libpq library without having to install
> the full PostgreSQL, as I doubt there would be enough disk space to even
> unpack the tarball.

Yes, the client and server sides are completely separate. On debian for
example, the client and server are different, independant package.

Not sure how you do it from the tarball though. I imagine you would have to
compile it elsewhere...

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/
> Terrorists can only take my life. Only my government can take my freedom.

Re: Installing Libraries on remote pc

From
Marek Pętlicki
Date:
W liście z czw, 29-11-2001, godz. 11:03, Martijn van Oosterhout pisze:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 09:25:53AM +0000, Stuart Grimshaw wrote:
> > I have an application that can log it's results to a postgres database. I am
> > unable to install PostgreSQL on the remote OPC so I want to have it log its
> > results to one of the other PostgreSQL servers I have.
> >
> > Is it possible to just install the libpq library without having to install
> > the full PostgreSQL, as I doubt there would be enough disk space to even
> > unpack the tarball.
>
> Yes, the client and server sides are completely separate. On debian for
> example, the client and server are different, independant package.
>
> Not sure how you do it from the tarball though. I imagine you would have to
> compile it elsewhere...

from $PSQL_DOC_SOMEWHERE_THERE/install-procedure.html (for 7.1.3):

===
      Client-only installation. If you want to install only the client
applications and interface libraries, then you can use these commands:

gmake -C src/bin install
gmake -C src/interfaces install
gmake -C doc install

      To undo the installation use the command gmake uninstall. However,
this will not remove the Perl and Python interfaces and it will not
remove any directories.
===

so it looks like you would have to compile the whole thing, then install
just what you need.

best regards

--
Marek Pętlicki <marpet@linuxpl.org>