problem connecting client to a postgresSQL server

From
"darwin"
Date:
Hi!! Im Darwin a student from DATA COllege San Fernando
Pampanga, Philppines. I am a new memeber in your mailing
list. Hope you could accomodate me.

I just want to consult anyone out there who could help me in
my problem regarding "HOW TO CONNECT A CLIENT TO A
POSTGRESSQL SERVER USING PERL ?". I am having a hard since
August and its bugging me cause I could not finish my
thesis.

I'm hopping that a generous mind could share something about
it.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Re: problem connecting client to a postgresSQL server

From
Einar Karttunen
Date:
On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 05:22:10PM +0800, darwin wrote:
> Hi!! Im Darwin a student from DATA COllege San Fernando
> Pampanga, Philppines. I am a new memeber in your mailing
> list. Hope you could accomodate me.
>
> I just want to consult anyone out there who could help me in
> my problem regarding "HOW TO CONNECT A CLIENT TO A
> POSTGRESSQL SERVER USING PERL ?". I am having a hard since
> August and its bugging me cause I could not finish my
> thesis.

Use dbi.
You will need the DBI and DBD::Pg modules.
For more info see http://dbi.perl.org/.

- Einar Karttunen

Re: problem connecting client to a postgresSQL server

From
GB Clark II
Date:
On Friday 09 November 2001 03:22, darwin wrote:
> Hi!! Im Darwin a student from DATA COllege San Fernando
> Pampanga, Philppines. I am a new memeber in your mailing
> list. Hope you could accomodate me.
>
> I just want to consult anyone out there who could help me in
> my problem regarding "HOW TO CONNECT A CLIENT TO A
> POSTGRESSQL SERVER USING PERL ?". I am having a hard since
> August and its bugging me cause I could not finish my
> thesis.
>
> I'm hopping that a generous mind could share something about
> it.
Hi,

Look into the Perl DBD/DBI interface.  Hit http://www.cpan.org/ and do a
search on DBI.  Works like a charm.

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek

Re: problem connecting client to a postgresSQL server

From
Gurudutt
Date:
Hello GB,

Install DBI modules for PgSQL and start working

HERE IS SAMPLE PROGRAM

---------------------- PROGRAM STARTS HERE -----------------------
#! <your path to perl>

use DBI;

# DATABASE HANDLE DECLARATION
my $dbHandle;

# QUERY VARIABLE DECLARATION
my $dbQuery;

# QUERY VARIABLE HANDLE DECLARATION
my $dbQueryHandle;

# VARIABLE TO STORE THE HASH REFS
my $dbRow;

# ESTABLISH  CONNECTION TO THE PG-SQL AND CONCERNED DATABASE
 $dbHandle=DBI->connect( "dbi:Pg:dbname=testdb", "username", "password") || die $DBI::errstr ;

# QUERY A SIMPLE TABLE
$dbQuery="select testcode,testname from testtab";

# PREPARE THE QUERY
$dbQueryHandle=$dbHandle->prepare($dbQuery) || die $dbHandle->errstr;

# EXECUTE THE QUERY
 $dbQueryHandle->execute || die $dbHandle->errstr;

# FETCH A ROW

if($dbRow=$dbHandle->fetchrow_hashref())
{
   # PRINT THE FETCHED RESULT SET
   print "\n TESTCODE: $dbRow->{testcode}";
   print "\n TESTNAME: $dbRow->{testname}";
}

 $dbQueryHandle->finish || die $dbHandle->errstr;

 $dbHandle->disconnect || die $DBI::errstr;

--------------------PROGRAM ENDS----------------------
if you're connecting to some remote machine, just add the IP address
in the DBI connect statement.

Hope I have helped u a bit

--
Best regards,
 Gurudutt                            mailto:guru@indvalley.com

Life is not fair - get used to it.
Bill Gates

GCI> On Friday 09 November 2001 03:22, darwin wrote:
>> Hi!! Im Darwin a student from DATA COllege San Fernando
>> Pampanga, Philppines. I am a new memeber in your mailing
>> list. Hope you could accomodate me.
>>
>> I just want to consult anyone out there who could help me in
>> my problem regarding "HOW TO CONNECT A CLIENT TO A
>> POSTGRESSQL SERVER USING PERL ?". I am having a hard since
>> August and its bugging me cause I could not finish my
>> thesis.
>>
>> I'm hopping that a generous mind could share something about
>> it.

Re: problem connecting client to a postgresSQL server

From
Tielman J de Villiers
Date:
We also use this interface, very successfully.
Apart from DBI, you will also need DBD::Pg

Tielman J de Villiers
BondNet Pty Ltd

On Friday 09 November 2001 03:22, darwin wrote:
> Hi!! Im Darwin a student from DATA COllege San Fernando Pampanga,
> Philppines. I am a new memeber in your mailing list. Hope you could
> accomodate me.
>
> I just want to consult anyone out there who could help me in my
> problem regarding "HOW TO CONNECT A CLIENT TO A POSTGRESSQL SERVER
> USING PERL ?". I am having a hard since August and its bugging me
> cause I could not finish my thesis.
>
> I'm hopping that a generous mind could share something about it.
Hi,

Look into the Perl DBD/DBI interface.  Hit http://www.cpan.org/ and do a
search on DBI.  Works like a charm.

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek
           CTHULU for President - Why choose the lesser of two evils?

General question about DBI/DBD

From
Paul Tomblin
Date:
I've got a very big program that I wrote using Pg.pm, and now I'd like to
convert it to using DBD:Pg.  Can anybody give me any general tips on how
to do that?  Just convert all the $conn->exec to $DBH->do, or is it more
complicated than that?

Also, the big program does a whole bunch of
  $conn->exec("SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE indexed_column = '$key'");
and things like that.  Is there a way in DBD:Pg I can re-parse those
queries with "...indexed_column = :1" and then supply a different key each
time?  I remember when I used to write C programs that accessed Oracle
(about 8 years ago, so the details are hazy), that was a major performance
improvement.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@xcski.com>, not speaking for anybody
"I had to kill him -- he was starting to make sense."

Re: General question about DBI/DBD

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@xcski.com> writes:

[converting Pg.pm to DBD::Pg]

> Also, the big program does a whole bunch of
>   $conn->exec("SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE indexed_column = '$key'");
> and things like that.  Is there a way in DBD:Pg I can re-parse those
> queries with "...indexed_column = :1" and then supply a different key each
> time?  I remember when I used to write C programs that accessed Oracle
> (about 8 years ago, so the details are hazy), that was a major performance
> improvement.

You can basically do:

$stmt = $dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE indexed_column = ?");

$stmt->execute($key1);
$stmt->execute($key2);

This is nice because it will do any escaping in $key that needs to be
done.

However, PG doesn't cache query plans in this situation (unlike
Oracle) so you won't see a big performance win.

(Apologies if my syntax is off; I mostly use Java now.)

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863