Installation Problems

From
Osei
Date:
Hey all,
I am having problems installing my first postgresql server.  Everything
works fine up to the point I have to do:
initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

initdb: Could not find the "lib" directory, that contains
the files needed by initdb. Please specify it with the
--pglib option.

then I do :
initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -L /usr/local/pggql/lib

initdb does not find the file
'/usr/local/pggql/lib/local1_template1.bki.source'.
This means you have a corrupted installation or identified the
wrong directory with the --pglib invocation option.

I dont understand why this is because I have not deviated the standard
installation instructions.

Please help.  Thanks
Osei

Re: Installation Problems

From
Osei
Osei wrote:

> Hey all,
> I am having problems installing my first postgresql server.  Everything
> works fine up to the point I have to do:
> initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> initdb: Could not find the "lib" directory, that contains
> the files needed by initdb. Please specify it with the
> --pglib option.
>
> then I do :
> initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -L /usr/local/pggql/lib
>
> initdb does not find the file
> '/usr/local/pggql/lib/local1_template1.bki.source'.
> This means you have a corrupted installation or identified the
> wrong directory with the --pglib invocation option.
>
> I dont understand why this is because I have not deviated the standard
> installation instructions.
>
> Please help.  Thanks
> Osei

The pggql was a typo ... pgsql in the same place doesnt work either.  Sorry

Re: Installation Problems

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Osei wrote:

> then I do :
> initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -L /usr/local/pggql/lib
>
> initdb does not find the file
> '/usr/local/pggql/lib/local1_template1.bki.source'.
> This means you have a corrupted installation or identified the
> wrong directory with the --pglib invocation option.
>
> I dont understand why this is because I have not deviated the standard
> installation instructions.

Try again, but use /usr/local/pgsql/lib

Probably the best thing to do is to set and export some environment
variables:

export PGHOME=/usr/local/pgsql
export PGDATA=$PGHOME/data
export PGLIB=$PGHOME/lib

Put these into whatever login config files you use (.bash_profile or
whatever) for users that need to use Postgres.

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
Superior ability breeds superior ambition.
        -- Spock, "Space Seed", stardate 3141.9