Installation Problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Osei
Subject Installation Problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Hey all,
I am having problems installing my first postgresql server.  Everything
works fine up to the point I have to do:
initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

initdb: Could not find the "lib" directory, that contains
the files needed by initdb. Please specify it with the
--pglib option.

then I do :
initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -L /usr/local/pggql/lib

initdb does not find the file
'/usr/local/pggql/lib/local1_template1.bki.source'.
This means you have a corrupted installation or identified the
wrong directory with the --pglib invocation option.

I dont understand why this is because I have not deviated the standard
installation instructions.

Please help.  Thanks
Osei