Re: Inseting multiple rows at onece. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve
Subject Re: Inseting multiple rows at onece.
Date
List pgsql-general
> Well, it is possible to add lots of rows in one operation with the SQL
> command "COPY" (read Postgres' documentation) but running 2000 INSERT
> queries on such type of table doesn't take a long time, since you seam
> not to have lots of columns in your table ip_list.
>
> Even if you have an index (unique or not) on one of the columns of
> your table it won't be really time-consuming.
>
> In my database I have a table with 350000 rows and inserting new rows
> is very fast with the insert command (altougth it would be faster with
> COPY - but COPY is usually used for data transfers with text files).
>
> Regards,
>  xav.

Thanks for the info.

I avoided the COPY command at first because it appeared that
it couldn't be used to populate
partial tables eg only one column of a multi column table,
but I probably just read the
docs wrongly.  I'll have another look at the docs.

Thanks again.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:steve@zeropps.uklinux.net