Accessing PostgreSQL through Apache and PHP4 on Linux

From
"Holt, Jack C."

I am running PostgreSQL 7.1.3, RedHat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2-2), and PHP/4.0.4pl1.  When I try to run a PHP page found below I get an error that says:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pg_connect() in /var/www/html/psolver.php on line 10

Additionally, even though pgsql.so IS in /usr/lib/php4 (and php.ini tells PHP to look there for extensions), I get the following error on the call to dl().

Warning: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php4/pgsql.so' - libpq.so: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/psolver.php on line 7

Code snippet:

<?

  dl("pgsql.so");

  //connect to database

  $conn = pg_connect("","","","psolver");

  if(!$conn) {

    print("Couldn't connect to psolver");

    exit;

  }

?>

Re: Accessing PostgreSQL through Apache and PHP4 on

From
Keary Suska
Date:
Chances are, ld can't find libpq.so. Try adding the location of libpq.so
(usually /usr/lib/pgsql or /usr/local/lib/pgsql, but you can use whereis to
find out exactly where) to /etc/ld.so.conf, then run ldconfig. If it is an
ld problem, that should fix it.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

I am running PostgreSQL 7.1.3, RedHat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2-2), and
PHP/4.0.4pl1. When I try to run a PHP page found below I get an error that
says:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pg_connect() in
/var/www/html/psolver.php on line 10

Additionally, even though pgsql.so IS in /usr/lib/php4 (and php.ini tells
PHP to look there for extensions), I get the following error on the call to
dl().

Warning: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php4/pgsql.so' - libpq.so:
cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory in
/var/www/html/psolver.php on line 7

Code snippet:

-------------------

<?

  dl("pgsql.so");

  //connect to database

  $conn = pg_connect("","","","psolver");

  if(!$conn) {

    print("Couldn't connect to psolver");

    exit;

  }

?>

Re: Accessing PostgreSQL through Apache and PHP4 on Linux

From
Andrew Gould
Date:
It looks like PHP was compiled without the PostgreSQL
option.  I know that Caldera's and Slackware's PHP
packages do not support PostgreSQL by default.
SuSE's does; but I'm not sure about RedHat's.

Best of luck,

Andrew

http://personals.yahoo.com

Re: Accessing PostgreSQL through Apache and PHP4 on Linux

From
"Holt, Jack C."
You didn't compile PHP with PostgreSQL support.

Recompile and add --with-pgsql to the configure line.

teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:
"Holt, Jack C." <JACK.C.HOLT@saic.com> writes:

> I am running PostgreSQL 7.1.3, RedHat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2-2)

Psst... you should apply available updates.

> Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pg_connect() in
> /var/www/html/psolver.php on line 10

You need install the php-pgsql rpm.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Accessing PostgreSQL through Apache and PHP4 on Linux

From
Richard Welty
Date:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:34:21 -0700 (PDT) Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It looks like PHP was compiled without the PostgreSQL
> option.  I know that Caldera's and Slackware's PHP
> packages do not support PostgreSQL by default.
> SuSE's does; but I'm not sure about RedHat's.

on RedHat 7.1, you need to install the following RPM to get pgsql support
for php:

    php-pgsql-4.0.4pl1-9

it's on one of the CDs in all the distributions (i forget which CD), or
available from the RedHat ftp download site.

richard