PostgreSQL and OpenOffice

From
Hans-Juergen Schoenig
Date:
Did anybody try to connect OpenOffice or Staroffice to PostgreSQL via
ODBC or any other interface?
Does anybody have experience? Does it work and if so; does it work well?

    Hans

Re: PostgreSQL and OpenOffice

From
Glen Eustace
Date:
> Did anybody try to connect OpenOffice or Staroffice to PostgreSQL
> via ODBC or any other interface?
> Does anybody have experience? Does it work and if so; does it work
> well?

I have used OpenOffice 638 and StarOffice 6.0Beta, and 5.2 on Windows using
ODBC to one of our Postgresql Databases. It seems to work pretty well for
what we use it for, but I can't claim to be stressing it.

Glen and Rosanne Eustace,
GodZone Internet Services, a division of AGRE Enterprises Ltd.,
P.O. Box 8020, Palmerston North, New Zealand 5301
Ph/Fax: +64 6 357 8168, Mob: +64 21 424 015

Re: PostgreSQL and OpenOffice

From
"Mihai Gheorghiu"
Date:
Here is from staroffice.com.support.starbase:

Mihai Gheorghiu wrote:

> I want to connect to a PostgreSQL database on a RH7.0 machine.
> I go File New Database, general "Test", Type "JDBC", JDBC
> "org.postgresql.Driver" "jdbc:postgresql:sales" "username" "password".
> I use the same strings to successfully connect to the db from servlets
that
> run on the same computer (Tomcat).
> The message I get is:
> Error reading from database
> An error occured. JDBC can only be used again after Office has been
> restarted.
> Using //localhost:5432/sales instead of sales does not help.
> A weird message that I get sometimes (e.g. when I try to connect to the
> forum) is
> No Java installation found.
> The message goes away all by itself and I get connected OK.
> I have JAVA_HOME and JDK_HOME defined. Does it need anything else?
> Thank you all in advance.

Follow the directions given at http://www.staroffice.fsnet.co.uk/ in
the HowTo section and adapt to the JDBC driver or switch to ODBC.

G. Roderick Singleton, <gsingleton@home.com>

Hi Mihai,

This difficulty could be reproduced under our in-house test conditions.
According to the Quality Assurance department, this is a ODCB driver
problem. This problem should be fixed in the next version.

Regards,

Sanal

Sun Microsystems Inc.