commercial usage with odbc

From
Mariusz Jadczak
Date:
Hi,

First of all, i am a postgres fan for a long time.

Now, our company is looking for a database platform for our
products. The choice of mine would be postgres, but i am not
the one who makes decisions. It's the boss, and he would like
to see some some examples of database usage from real world.
To make it clear, i have to say that possibly all of our
clients use novell based local networks and mswindows clients.

My question is, how good odbc driver is, and what is more
important, how good it behaves with Borland c++ builder 5.
I would be greatful if you have any information on advantages
and possibly disadvantages of using postgres odbc driver with
borland builder.

Also it would be great if you could send me some examples of
products/companies using postgres with odbc driver
especially with client created with borland buider.
Anyway, i am also interested in more general information,
not necessarily including borland builder.

Regards, Mariusz Jadczak
Polsoft Engineering Sp. z o.o. 40-397 Katowice, ul.Lwowska 38
tel.(32)209-80-39,209-83-87 fax.(32)209-81-16
http://www.polsoft.pl

Re: commercial usage with odbc

From
BELLON Michel
Date:
I suggest to use ZEOS components http://www.zeoslib.org

Michel BELLON
LCIE - Informatique appliquée
33 (0)1 40 95 60 35

Date:
Thank you all for ( off-list ) answers.

I'm glad to hear, that postgres odbc driver works fine even with
access frontends. We definately won't use access frontends.
All our frontends will be c++ and i bet we will use borland builder.
That's the reason we are interested in odbc and borland components
cooperation. We have some unpleasant experiences with some other
database platform. There is no need ( and maybe shame ) to say its
name, as nobody will use it in real products anyway. We have
tried this because of historical reasons, and that was real pain.

I really hope it was odbc fault, not a borland builder itself.
Or is it possible access is better than c++ frontend?

Can someone give us a hope that borland builder + odbc will
give a good performance?

A_Schnabel@t-online.de (Andre Schnabel)
> I really hope it was odbc fault, not a borland builder itself.
> Or is it possible access is better than c++ frontend?

I don't know, how good borland builder is. But there can't be much worse
than access ;-)

Andre