unicode in 7.1

From
Culley Harrelson
Date:
Hello,

my isp recently upgraded form postgreSQL 7.0 to 7.1.  It went pretty well
but I just discovered that non-english characters are now in the database
as a question mark-- inserting non-english characters produces a ? as
well.  Any idea what has gone wrong and what we need to do to fix this?

culley

http://im.yahoo.com

Re: unicode in 7.1

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> my isp recently upgraded form postgreSQL 7.0 to 7.1.  It went pretty well
> but I just discovered that non-english characters are now in the database
> as a question mark-- inserting non-english characters produces a ? as
> well.  Any idea what has gone wrong and what we need to do to fix this?

Hard to tell without knowing what the configuration option was and
what kind of API you are using...
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: unicode in 7.1

From
"Karen Ellrick"
Date:
> my isp recently upgraded form postgreSQL 7.0 to 7.1.  It went pretty well
> but I just discovered that non-english characters are now in the database
> as a question mark-- inserting non-english characters produces a ? as
> well.  Any idea what has gone wrong and what we need to do to fix this?

Without any more info it's only a guess, but did the ISP folks forget to use
the --enable-multibyte=<favorite_charset> during the "configure" step of
installation?  If they had multibyte enabled before and didn't this time,
that could explain the problem.

Regards,

--------------------------------
Karen Ellrick
S & C Technology, Inc.
1-21-35 Kusatsu-shinmachi
Hiroshima  733-0834  Japan
(from U.S. 011-81, from Japan 0) 82-293-2838
--------------------------------

Re: unicode in 7.1

From
Marko Kreen
Date:
On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 11:25:36AM -0700, Culley Harrelson wrote:

> my isp recently upgraded form postgreSQL 7.0 to 7.1.  It went pretty well
> but I just discovered that non-english characters are now in the database
> as a question mark-- inserting non-english characters produces a ? as
> well.  Any idea what has gone wrong and what we need to do to fix this?

Your database encoding is wrong.  Probably SQL_ASCII.  And in
7.1 the JDBC drivers takes account of database encoding and
presents invalid symbols as '?'.

--
marko

Re: unicode in 7.1

From
Culley Harrelson
Date:
What would be the proper encoding?  Essentially anything goes with the data
in this database-- I had language aid material that could potentially be
for any language you can type.

I don't think java is the issue-- from pgsql in the shell you get a
question mark ? for your most basic accented character.

culley

At 02:25 PM 9/11/01 +0200, you wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 11:25:36AM -0700, Culley Harrelson wrote:
> >
> > my isp recently upgraded form postgreSQL 7.0 to 7.1.  It went pretty well
> > but I just discovered that non-english characters are now in the database
> > as a question mark-- inserting non-english characters produces a ? as
> > well.  Any idea what has gone wrong and what we need to do to fix this?
>
>Your database encoding is wrong.  Probably SQL_ASCII.  And in
>7.1 the JDBC drivers takes account of database encoding and
>presents invalid symbols as '?'.
>
>--
>marko

Re: unicode in 7.1

From
Marko Kreen
Date:
On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 05:21:22AM -0700, Culley Harrelson wrote:
> What would be the proper encoding?  Essentially anything goes with the data
> in this database-- I had language aid material that could potentially be
> for any language you can type.

UNICODE?

> I don't think java is the issue-- from pgsql in the shell you get a
> question mark ? for your most basic accented character.

The issue is neither PostgreSQL nor JDBC driver.  The issue is
that db encoding does not match data.  If you see '?' psql
then seems like the data was converted on insert to SQL_ASCII...

psql does no do any charset conversions (yet?), JDBC does.
If data is in psql OK but in JDBC wrong then you are lucky and
data is still healthy.

You should dump your database and create db with correct
encoding and reload data.

Use \l in psql to see you db-s and encodings.

--
marko