query help

From
"G.L. Grobe"
Date:
Hi all,

How would I get TableB.label if all I know about is TableA.name?

I was thinking about a query on TableA first, then within the while
(rs.next()), I'd do another query using the result set from A on B, but I
don't like that much, and it seems kind of slow.

Any help much appreciated!

TableA
idA | name | class
-----------------
11    test1   1
12    test2   1
13    test3   2
14    test4   2

TableB
idB | idA | label
----------------
1     11     nameA
2     12     nameB
3     13     nameC
4     14     nameD

Re: query help

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
Maybe this?
select label from TableB, TableA
 where TableB.idA=TableA.idA
  and TableA.name=<whatever>

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, G.L. Grobe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> How would I get TableB.label if all I know about is TableA.name?
>
> I was thinking about a query on TableA first, then within the while
> (rs.next()), I'd do another query using the result set from A on B, but I
> don't like that much, and it seems kind of slow.
>
> Any help much appreciated!
>
> TableA
> idA | name | class
> -----------------
> 11    test1   1
> 12    test2   1
> 13    test3   2
> 14    test4   2
>
> TableB
> idB | idA | label
> ----------------
> 1     11     nameA
> 2     12     nameB
> 3     13     nameC
> 4     14     nameD

Re: query help

From
wsheldah@lexmark.com

For one specific label:
select TableB.label from TableA, TableB where TableA.idA=TableB.idA and
TableA.name='test2';

To get a list of name-label pairs:
select TableA.name, TableB.label from TableA, TableB where TableA.idA=TableB.idA
order by TableA.name, TableB.label;

"G.L. Grobe" <gary%grobe.net@interlock.lexmark.com> on 08/30/2001 07:45:20 PM

cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
Subject:  [GENERAL] query help