Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Alexey Borzov writes:

>     I suppose PgSQL has to take a more active stance as well. Consider
> "M$ vs Linux debates". Of course here both projects are Open Source so
> the discussion should not be as heated... But I do think that
> the statements in
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/y/MySQL-PostgreSQL_features.html
> should NOT go unanswered.

Okay, I answered them:

http://webmail.postgresql.org/~petere/comparison.html

(The domain should move to www.ca.postgresql.org in the next few days.
This is just a temporary location while the site meisters move things
around.)

I tried to be reasonable and biased at the same time. ;-)

This article does not go into the advantages of PostgreSQL, since that's
already done elsewhere, such as here:

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/features.html

Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
Sam Tregar
Date:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Okay, I answered them:
>
> http://webmail.postgresql.org/~petere/comparison.html

Perhaps you should add some links to PostgreSQL's full-text searching
solutions?  It's hard to evaluate without some reference to what you're
talking about.

-sam

RE: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
"Robert J. Sanford, Jr."
Date:
the following link is a good article on the real-world,
multi-user performance of mysql and postgres. tim perdue
ported source forge from mysql to postgre and performed a
series of tests against the source forge code and database.
one chart shows postgres scaling up to 100 concurrent users
and serving pages very nicely while mysql craters at about
20.

enjoy!

rjsjr

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3

Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Alexey Borzov writes:
>
> >     I suppose PgSQL has to take a more active stance as well. Consider
> > "M$ vs Linux debates". Of course here both projects are Open Source so
> > the discussion should not be as heated... But I do think that
> > the statements in
> > http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/y/MySQL-PostgreSQL_features.html
> > should NOT go unanswered.
>
> Okay, I answered them:
>
> http://webmail.postgresql.org/~petere/comparison.html

Hmm... reading it suddenly I found that can't understand something. If
table bigger than 1 GB are split in different files, there is no "one
file per table". In that case, symlinking is not that safe... or is it?

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[@]atentus.com>)

Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
"Jeff Eckermann"
Date:
I think the quotes from Jan Wieck may be hard to understand, or even
misleading, to a reader who did not see them in the context of the
discussion in which they were written.  They contain plenty of irony
(sarcasm?), which when read literally, means something quite different from
what was intended.  Since the points made are valuable, perhaps they could
be restated in the body of the text instead?

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > Okay, I answered them:
> >
> > http://webmail.postgresql.org/~petere/comparison.html
>
> Perhaps you should add some links to PostgreSQL's full-text searching
> solutions?  It's hard to evaluate without some reference to what you're
> talking about.
>
> -sam

RE: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
"Otto Hirr"
Date:
> ... mysql v postgres

In a book on marketing warfare (maybe the one
by Ries & Trout) there was a question about who
was the competitor:

You own a hotel on a small desert island across
the street from another hotel.  The question is
are they your real threat as a competitor and
should you try to drive them down, maybe out of
business?  The real competitor is the other,
next, nearest "island" 300 miles away - and not
the hotel across the street.  If either of the
hotels go out, the whole island economy falters
and you may go with it.  What you really want
is to compete against the other island.  If the
business of the hotel across the street goes up,
then your own business is like to grow also.
The issue in this case is who is the real,
significant competitor.

It reminds me about unix.  Let see, is it
Sun or HP that has the better unix.  Opps, how
about IBM, or Sony, NEC, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
SCO, or ...  and opps I forgot Linux, oh how
could I do that?  And it would be better
to have start up run scripts where?, what is
the better x-type windowing system?, ...

But, MSDOS was MSDOS, was MSDOS...
and MS Windows was MS Windows, is MS Windows

So who is the real competitor -
HP v Sun v Ibm v ... all unix and all slightly
different in such miniscule amounts (I'll probably
get flamed for that...)
or
unix v MS Windows...
What would have happened if the unix vendors
laid down their NIH and joined each other?

So who is the real, important competitor?
Is it so much important to "compete"
between mysql and postgres, or is it more
important to compete with the proprietary
databases.  They all must laugh themselves
silly at times.

But I tell you that there would be a WHOLE
lot more concern if the HUGE amount of brains
and talent on both these projects all laid
down their editors, compilers, os's, and their
deeply entrenched NIH attitude and join
forces with each other.  What would that be
like?  Is it possible?  So you feel like
competing, then compete against your own
self to ask what you could learn from each
other, then change direction and compete
against your COMMON competitor - the
proprietary databases.

Just some rambling thoughts - and certainly
not to try and tit-for-tat war.

Regards,

.. Otto

Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
"Johann Zuschlag"
Date:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:32:59 +0200 (CEST), Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Okay, I answered them:
>
>http://webmail.postgresql.org/~petere/comparison.html

Ok, sounds good. I hope that will calm down the discussion.

regards

Johann Zuschlag
zuschlag@online.de

Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL banter.

From
Guy Fraser
Date:
Bravo

Good points.

Most *nix systems are finaly working toward POSIX compliance.

Most SQL systems are working toward SQL92 {I think} compliance.

On the other hand just because you are compliant does not mean that your
code is portable. I don't want this point to turn into a thread, it just
isn't important enough.

There are even RDBMS systems that don't use SQL and that does not make
them bad, it just makes them different.

I used to write my databases in C using an algorythm I developed myself
that is simmilar to but before btree existed. My engine kept indexes in
a pointer of pointers type format in memory, that was quick and didn't
require a lot of memory. Those databases ran on an IBM PC-XT with 512 kB
ram and a 10 MB HD and easily handled 64K interlinked records with an
average of 8 probes per query. Oh and by the way that was on dos 3.2{if
my memory serves me correctly} with Borland Turbo C, but I forget wich
memory model I used {It has been 6 years since I did any non *nix
programming}.

Guy Fraser

Otto Hirr wrote:

> > ... mysql v postgres
>
> In a book on marketing warfare (maybe the one
> by Ries & Trout) there was a question about who
> was the competitor:
>
> You own a hotel on a small desert island
...snip...
> who is the real, significant competitor.
>
> It reminds me about unix.  Let see, is it
> Sun or HP that has the better unix.
...snip...
> unix v MS Windows...
> What would have happened if the unix vendors
> laid down their NIH and joined each other?
>
> So who is the real, important competitor?
> Is it so much important to "compete"
> between mysql and postgres, or is it more
> important to compete with the proprietary
> databases.  They all must laugh themselves
> silly at times.
>
> But I tell you that there would be a WHOLE
> lot more concern if the HUGE amount of brains
> and talent on both these projects all laid
> down their editors, compilers, os's, and their
> deeply entrenched NIH attitude and join
> forces with each other.  What would that be
> like?  Is it possible?  So you feel like
> competing, then compete against your own
> self to ask what you could learn from each
> other, then change direction and compete
> against your COMMON competitor - the
> proprietary databases.
>
> Just some rambling thoughts - and certainly
> not to try and tit-for-tat war.
>
> Regards,
>
> .. Otto

There is a fine line between genius and lunacy, fear not, walk the
line with pride. Not all things will end up as you wanted, but you
will certainly discover things the meek and timid will miss out on.

Re: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 09:32:59PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Alexey Borzov writes:
> Okay, I answered them:
>
> http://webmail.postgresql.org/~petere/comparison.html

In that document you say:

> By the way, PostgreSQL does support multiple storage managers; not as
> easily today as in the early days, but that is mostly due to the fact that
> no one ever wanted to replace the current one.

Does this mean that in the 7.1 tree one could include the storage manager
for 7.0, thus being able to read both types, or is it more complicated than
that?

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/
> It would be nice if someone came up with a certification system that
> actually separated those who can barely regurgitate what they crammed over
> the last few weeks from those who command secret ninja networking powers.

Re[2]: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Greetings, Peter!

At 29.08.2001, 23:32, you wrote:
>>  But I do think that
>> the statements in
>> http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/y/MySQL-PostgreSQL_features.html
>> should NOT go unanswered.

PE> Okay, I answered them:

PE> http://webmail.postgresql.org/~petere/comparison.html

    Looks good, but it's not exactly what I've had in mind. You see it
    is too often considered that if someone has to justify oneself, he
    is automatically guilty. I want to write an article that would
    make MySQL's developers justify themselves...
    Besides, one has to read the MySQL's article *before* this just to
    understand what's this all about...

    BTW, can I use parts of your answers in my work?

    And, a question to SQL standard gurus: is it necessary for a DBMS
    to implement subqueries and views to be considered entry-level
    SQL92 compliant.
    Besides, is there any document which has all PostgreSQL's
    deviations from standard in one place?

PE> I tried to be reasonable and biased at the same time. ;-)

PE> This article does not go into the advantages of PostgreSQL, since that's
PE> already done elsewhere, such as here:

PE> http://www.ca.postgresql.org/features.html

--
Yours, Alexey V. Borzov, Webmaster of RDW.ru

RE: RFC: PostgreSQL and MySQL comparison.

From
Shaun Thomas
Date:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Robert J. Sanford, Jr. wrote:

> http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3

Now *that* was very informative, thank you.

The best benefit to this, is that the optimization engine is supposedly
vastly improved in the 7.2 tree, so that'll just increase the lead.  If
they clean up vacuum to actually get indexes, the planner will have a
better chance at picking more optimal execution plans, too.

I'm glad that development has picked up.  It seemed like 6.5x would be
around forever.

Thanks for knocking down the walls guys. ^_^

--
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Shaun M. Thomas                INN Database Programmer              |

Date:
Martijn van Oosterhout writes:

> > By the way, PostgreSQL does support multiple storage managers; not as
> > easily today as in the early days, but that is mostly due to the fact that
> > no one ever wanted to replace the current one.
>
> Does this mean that in the 7.1 tree one could include the storage manager
> for 7.0, thus being able to read both types, or is it more complicated than
> that?

The storage manager hasn't changed in principle since 6.5.  What has
changed is the system catalog structure and contents.  (Recall the
pg_upgrade program that was available for 6.5->7.0 transition.  It would
copy the data files right over.)