Is the bug system active?

From
Lee Kindness
Date:
Is the bug system at:

    http://www.ca.postgresql.org/bugs/

actively in use? I recently reported the following bug:

    http://www.ca.postgresql.org/bugs/bugs.php?4~415

and after doing so browsed through a number of earlier bugs it appears
that the vast majority are still 'unassigned' and not evaluated after
a long period of time (like over a year)! Surely if this system is
being ignored it should be removed from the website...

Thanks, Lee Kindness.

Re: Is the bug system active?

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Lee Kindness <lkindness@csl.co.uk> writes:
> > Is the bug system at:
> >     http://www.ca.postgresql.org/bugs/
> > actively in use? I recently reported the following bug:
> >     http://www.ca.postgresql.org/bugs/bugs.php?4~415
> > and after doing so browsed through a number of earlier bugs it appears
> > that the vast majority are still 'unassigned' and not evaluated after
> > a long period of time (like over a year)! Surely if this system is
> > being ignored it should be removed from the website...
>
> It's not being ignored, exactly --- the part of it that is actually
> useful is that bug reports entered via the webform are spit out to the
> pgsql-bugs mailing list.  Which the developers do read, and respond to.
> (I see your ecpg bug report on the list, BTW.)  But no one is
> maintaining the bug database in the sense of marking stuff done.
>
> I hadn't realized that there was a publicly-visible database attached
> to the webform, actually.  Perhaps we should not make the database
> visible, if we're not going to update it.  Vince, what do you think?

If we're not going to update it then I agree, although updating it is
rather trivial.  It's a function/feature that's already built in.  So
I guess it's your call, 'cuze it's just as trivial for me to disable
that part.

Vince.

Re: Is the bug system active?

From
Lee Kindness
Date:
Stephan Szabo writes:
 > On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Lee Kindness wrote:
 > > Is the bug system at:
 > >     http://www.ca.postgresql.org/bugs/
 > > actively in use?
 > It's mostly a front end for the pgsql-bugs mailing list. I don't
 > think the discussion and actions are generally copied back to the
 > online system.

Right, in which case I'd agree with Tom Lane that if the web side of
things doesn't reflect reality then it would be better disabled - a
note referring people to the bug list archives would be more useful.

On a related note is comp.databases.postgresql.bugs on
news.postgresql.org being gated from the pgsql-bugs mailing list? It
doesn't appear to be so. Other groups (i.e general and interfaces)
appear fine but bugs has no messages in it.

Thanks, Lee.

--
 Lee Kindness   Senior Software Engineer   Concept Systems Limited
 lkindness@csl.co.uk +44-(0)131-5575595 http://services.csl.co.uk/

Re: Is the bug system active?

Date:
Lee Kindness <lkindness@csl.co.uk> writes:
> Is the bug system at:
>     http://www.ca.postgresql.org/bugs/
> actively in use? I recently reported the following bug:
>     http://www.ca.postgresql.org/bugs/bugs.php?4~415
> and after doing so browsed through a number of earlier bugs it appears
> that the vast majority are still 'unassigned' and not evaluated after
> a long period of time (like over a year)! Surely if this system is
> being ignored it should be removed from the website...

It's not being ignored, exactly --- the part of it that is actually
useful is that bug reports entered via the webform are spit out to the
pgsql-bugs mailing list.  Which the developers do read, and respond to.
(I see your ecpg bug report on the list, BTW.)  But no one is
maintaining the bug database in the sense of marking stuff done.

I hadn't realized that there was a publicly-visible database attached
to the webform, actually.  Perhaps we should not make the database
visible, if we're not going to update it.  Vince, what do you think?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Is the bug system active?

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:

Date:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Lee Kindness wrote:

> Stephan Szabo writes:
>  > On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Lee Kindness wrote:
>  > > Is the bug system at:
>  > >     http://www.ca.postgresql.org/bugs/
>  > > actively in use?
>  > It's mostly a front end for the pgsql-bugs mailing list. I don't
>  > think the discussion and actions are generally copied back to the
>  > online system.
>
> Right, in which case I'd agree with Tom Lane that if the web side of
> things doesn't reflect reality then it would be better disabled - a
> note referring people to the bug list archives would be more useful.

Actually we could probably keep up the form, but not the rest of the
system and just say its a form that posts to the mailing list.  (To
be honest, I didn't even notice that it kept a list of the bugs
and such until today).