An unfair comparision....

From
Tony Hoyt
Date:
I'm curious how PostgreSQL compares to Oracle in terms
of stability and speed.  My company is looking into
alternative database software for our product but we
need to know if it's stable enough for our needs.

  Our current requirements list for a good Database
software application are the following.

 1. Stability - It can survive power outages.
 2. Speed - We're only going to perform very basic
read and write transactions.  Some tables are rather
large but over all, we need a at least 200 sql
transactions per second.
 3. Redudency - Can we have two physical systems with
one database being updated by the master database
automaticly in case of failure.  This is above and
beyond RAID.
 4. Solaris Support - I'm already positive that
PostgreSQL can run on Solaris, but how well is it
supported?

  If someone can adaquitly answer those issues for me,
I would be extreamly greatfull.  Thank you.

   Tony

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Re: An unfair comparision....

Date:
Tony Hoyt <gmtonyhoyt@yahoo.com> writes:
>   Our current requirements list for a good Database
> software application are the following.

>  1. Stability - It can survive power outages.

Check.

>  2. Speed - We're only going to perform very basic
> read and write transactions.  Some tables are rather
> large but over all, we need a at least 200 sql
> transactions per second.

That's a meaningless number when you haven't specified what kind of iron
you intend to run on, nor how many reads and writes make up each
transaction.  But AFAIK Postgres is reasonably competitive with Oracle
speed-wise.  If you can get that speed with Oracle you can probably
manage it with Postgres too.

>  3. Redudency - Can we have two physical systems with
> one database being updated by the master database
> automaticly in case of failure.  This is above and
> beyond RAID.

We are pretty weak in this area.  There is a good overview of the state
of play at http://www.greatbridge.org/genpage?replication_top with links
to available solutions (all kluges to some extent, IMHO, but people are
using them) as well as work on better answers.  I'd guess a good
integrated replication solution will be available sometime next year.

>  4. Solaris Support - I'm already positive that
> PostgreSQL can run on Solaris, but how well is it
> supported?

It works.  <commercial>The two platforms that Great Bridge currently
offers commercial support contracts for are Linux and Solaris, so I'd
say it's supported well enough...</commercial>

            regards, tom lane

Re: An unfair comparision....

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Tony,

PostgreSQL is *very* stable.  Individual backends can be killed off by
weird SQL queries that trigger a known bug (not very many, and always
being fixed), but that is very very rare, and nothing which 99.999% of
normal SQL queries will get even close to.

There are a few 3rd party replication products for Solaris.  The most
developed one I'm aware of is PostgreSQL Replicator
(pgreplicator.sourceforge.net).

The speed issue is a matter of sizing the database & hardware correctly,
you'll probably want to speak to a Commercial Support company for this.

And for Solaris support, I'd also advise contacting one of the
Commercial Support companies :

PostgreSQL Inc.
www.pgsql.com

GreatBridge LLC
www.greatbridge.com

In Japan, then Software Research Associates :
osb.sra.co.jp

In Vienna, Cybertec Geschwinde &. Schvnig OEG
postgres.cybertec.at

Further details of commercial support can be found at the PostgreSQL
Commercial Support page :

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/commercial-support.html

Hope this is helpful.

Regards and best wishes,