Re: An unfair comparision.... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: An unfair comparision....
Date
List pgsql-general
Tony Hoyt <gmtonyhoyt@yahoo.com> writes:
>   Our current requirements list for a good Database
> software application are the following.

>  1. Stability - It can survive power outages.

Check.

>  2. Speed - We're only going to perform very basic
> read and write transactions.  Some tables are rather
> large but over all, we need a at least 200 sql
> transactions per second.

That's a meaningless number when you haven't specified what kind of iron
you intend to run on, nor how many reads and writes make up each
transaction.  But AFAIK Postgres is reasonably competitive with Oracle
speed-wise.  If you can get that speed with Oracle you can probably
manage it with Postgres too.

>  3. Redudency - Can we have two physical systems with
> one database being updated by the master database
> automaticly in case of failure.  This is above and
> beyond RAID.

We are pretty weak in this area.  There is a good overview of the state
of play at http://www.greatbridge.org/genpage?replication_top with links
to available solutions (all kluges to some extent, IMHO, but people are
using them) as well as work on better answers.  I'd guess a good
integrated replication solution will be available sometime next year.

>  4. Solaris Support - I'm already positive that
> PostgreSQL can run on Solaris, but how well is it
> supported?

It works.  <commercial>The two platforms that Great Bridge currently
offers commercial support contracts for are Linux and Solaris, so I'd
say it's supported well enough...</commercial>

            regards, tom lane