Data Versioning

From
"Sunit Bhatia"
Date:
Does any body know if pgsql supports any kind of versioning of  binary
objects or data. e.g. If I'm storing a binary file in a row of a table, I
would want to see different versions of the same biary file. Everytime I do
a write, the version number should be bumped up !!

Is it possible to do it in pgsql or any other databases.
I'm using JDBC for connecting to database.

thanks

Re: Data Versioning

From
"Yasuo Ohgaki"
Date:
> Does any body know if pgsql supports any kind of versioning of
binary
> objects or data. e.g. If I'm storing a binary file in a row of a
table, I
> would want to see different versions of the same biary file.
Everytime I do
> a write, the version number should be bumped up !!

With PostgreSQL, you can create RULE to keep old values.
(Much easier than other DB, thanks to RULE)
Refer to PostgreSQL manual for details.

Yasuo Ohgaki

Re: Data Versioning

From
Barry Lind
Date:
You should be able to easily design a database schema that does what you
want.  For example two tables,

files
------
file_id (PK)
file_name text

file_versions
-------------
file_version_id (PK)
file_id (FK to files.file_id)
version integer not null
data oid not null

Then when your application creates a new file you would insert a row
into both the files and file_versions table.  When your application
'updates' a file it just inserts into the file_versions table the new
version.

There is no explicit support for what you are trying to do native, and I
don't know of any other databases that support that type of
functionality either (at least I know Oracle does not).

thanks,
--Barry