Re: Data Versioning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Barry Lind
Subject Re: Data Versioning
Date
List pgsql-general
You should be able to easily design a database schema that does what you
want.  For example two tables,

files
------
file_id (PK)
file_name text

file_versions
-------------
file_version_id (PK)
file_id (FK to files.file_id)
version integer not null
data oid not null

Then when your application creates a new file you would insert a row
into both the files and file_versions table.  When your application
'updates' a file it just inserts into the file_versions table the new
version.

There is no explicit support for what you are trying to do native, and I
don't know of any other databases that support that type of
functionality either (at least I know Oracle does not).

thanks,
--Barry