Re: Debian's PostgreSQL packages

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" wrote:
  >> and it was never submitted to us a a patch.
  >
  >According to the README it was. Oliver, could you comment on this please?

It was, a couple of months back.  Peter made some criticism of its use of
autoconf, which I have changed.  I have not resubmitted the patch because
the core team seemed to think it was not sufficiently portable.  If people
want to include it in the main release, I will resubmit a revised patch.

     "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath
      anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath
      sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach
      deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight
      to the blind, to set at liberty them that are
      bruised..."         Luke 4:18

Re: Re: Debian's PostgreSQL packages

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Oliver Elphick writes:

> "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" wrote:
>   >> and it was never submitted to us a a patch.
>   >
>   >According to the README it was. Oliver, could you comment on this please?
>
> It was, a couple of months back.  Peter made some criticism of its use of
> autoconf, which I have changed.  I have not resubmitted the patch because
> the core team seemed to think it was not sufficiently portable.  If people
> want to include it in the main release, I will resubmit a revised patch.

The whole authentication process has been rewritten in the meantime, so
you might have some work to do.  I think the patch was okay in principle.
It's not any less "portable" than ident when you don't have an ident
server running.

Re: Re: Debian's PostgreSQL packages

Date:
Oliver Elphick writes:
>> It was, a couple of months back.  Peter made some criticism of its use of
>> autoconf, which I have changed.  I have not resubmitted the patch because
>> the core team seemed to think it was not sufficiently portable.

I think there was some questioning of whether the code could run on
enough platforms to make it worth carrying in the main sources.  Could
someone refresh my memory on which platforms can support this method?

As long as it's useful on some reasonable subset of platforms, and can
be autoconf'ed out on the rest, I don't have an objection to adding it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Re: Debian's PostgreSQL packages

Date:
> "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" wrote:
>   >> and it was never submitted to us a a patch.
>   >
>   >According to the README it was. Oliver, could you comment on this please?
>
> It was, a couple of months back.  Peter made some criticism of its use of
> autoconf, which I have changed.  I have not resubmitted the patch because
> the core team seemed to think it was not sufficiently portable.  If people
> want to include it in the main release, I will resubmit a revised patch.

I think our current idea is to have people run local ident servers to
handle this.  We don't have any OS-specific stuff in pg_hba.conf and I
am not sure if we want to add that complexity.  What do others think?

Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" wrote:
> >   >> and it was never submitted to us a a patch.
> >   >
> >   >According to the README it was. Oliver, could you comment on this please?
> >
> > It was, a couple of months back.  Peter made some criticism of its use of
> > autoconf, which I have changed.  I have not resubmitted the patch because
> > the core team seemed to think it was not sufficiently portable.  If people
> > want to include it in the main release, I will resubmit a revised patch.
>
> I think our current idea is to have people run local ident servers to
> handle this.  We don't have any OS-specific stuff in pg_hba.conf and I
> am not sure if we want to add that complexity.  What do others think?

This is not any less "specific" than SSL or Kerberos.  Note that opening a
TCP/IP socket already opens a theoretical hole to the world.  Unix domain
is much safer.

Re: Re: Debian's PostgreSQL packages

Date:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" wrote:
> > >   >> and it was never submitted to us a a patch.
> > >   >
> > >   >According to the README it was. Oliver, could you comment on this please?
> > >
> > > It was, a couple of months back.  Peter made some criticism of its use of
> > > autoconf, which I have changed.  I have not resubmitted the patch because
> > > the core team seemed to think it was not sufficiently portable.  If people
> > > want to include it in the main release, I will resubmit a revised patch.
> >
> > I think our current idea is to have people run local ident servers to
> > handle this.  We don't have any OS-specific stuff in pg_hba.conf and I
> > am not sure if we want to add that complexity.  What do others think?
>
> This is not any less "specific" than SSL or Kerberos.  Note that opening a
> TCP/IP socket already opens a theoretical hole to the world.  Unix domain
> is much safer.

You can install SSL/Kerberos on any Unix, and many come pre-installed.
You can't add unix-domain socket user authentication to any OS.

I assume most OS's have 127.0.0.1 set as loopback so there shouldn't be
a hole:

127                       127.0.0.1                UGRS    4352 lo0
127.0.0.1                 127.0.0.1                UH      4352 lo0

However, the security issue may make it worthwhile.  Which OS's support
user authentication again, and can we test via configure?  Maybe we can
strip out the mention in the pg_hba.conf file if it is not supported on
that OS.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
  >> > I think our current idea is to have people run local ident servers to
  >> > handle this.  We don't have any OS-specific stuff in pg_hba.conf and I
  >> > am not sure if we want to add that complexity.  What do others think?
  >>
  >> This is not any less "specific" than SSL or Kerberos.  Note that opening a
  >> TCP/IP socket already opens a theoretical hole to the world.  Unix domain
  >> is much safer.
  >
  >You can install SSL/Kerberos on any Unix, and many come pre-installed.
  >You can't add unix-domain socket user authentication to any OS.
  >
  >I assume most OS's have 127.0.0.1 set as loopback so there shouldn't be
  >a hole:
  >
  >127                       127.0.0.1                UGRS    4352 lo0
  >127.0.0.1                 127.0.0.1                UH      4352 lo0
  >
  >However, the security issue may make it worthwhile.  Which OS's support
  >user authentication again, and can we test via configure?  Maybe we can
  >strip out the mention in the pg_hba.conf file if it is not supported on
  >that OS.

The security issue is why I developed it.  There were complaints from people
who did not want to have identd running at all.

I think the feature is available in Linux, Solaris and some BSD.  It can be
tested for by whether SO_PEERCRED is defined in sys/socket.h.

I don't see the need to strip mention from the comments in pg_hba.conf.  The
situation is no different from those systems which do not have Kerberos or
SSL available.

     "I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto
      me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an
      horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet
      upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath
      put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God.
      Many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the
      LORD."                 Psalms 40:1-3