New 7.1.2 RPMS -- 7.1.2-2.PGDG

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Finally I have uploaded 7.1.2 RPMS, to
/pub/binary/v7.1.2/RPMS
on the ftp.postgresql.org master site.  They should propagate out to the
mirrors directly.

There are changes -- most notably, the tests now go into /usr/lib/pgsql
instead of /usr/share/pgsql, as they are not _shareable_ files, but have
architecture-dependent components.

Next, the binary RPM's have built-in support for open-ssl -- but you have to
have OpenSSL installed to use it. For RedHat 6.2, you can get openssl binary
RPM's from your favorite Red Hat updates mirror (I like rufus.w3.org, aka
rpmfind.net).

Also, the source RPM is now in an RPM3-readable format -- my apologies to
those who had troubles with the RPM4 format source RPM.

Changes and bugfixes abound.  Please see README.rpm-dist (available without
downloading the whole RPMset in the above mentioned directory) and the spec
file ChangeLog (rpm -qip --changelog postgresql-7.1.2-2.PGDG.i386.rpm) for
more information.

For rebuilders, the top of the spec file includes numerous macro tests --
defining these macros to various values causes conditional package building.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: New 7.1.2 RPMS -- 7.1.2-2.PGDG

From
"Ted"
Date:
"Lamar Owen" <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> wrote in message
> Finally I have uploaded 7.1.2 RPMS, to
> /pub/binary/v7.1.2/RPMS
> on the ftp.postgresql.org master site.  They should propagate out to the
> mirrors directly.

I tried these new binaries on my redhat 7.0 system...
The binaries I got were the ones from the redhat7.x folder (from the
Australian mirror)

There is a problem with these rpm's and openssl.

> Next, the binary RPM's have built-in support for open-ssl -- but you have
> have OpenSSL installed to use it. For RedHat 6.2, you can get openssl
binary
> RPM's from your favorite Red Hat updates mirror (I like rufus.w3.org, aka
> rpmfind.net).

Redhat7.0 already has (well my system did - cant remember if it is default
or not) the "redhat binary" of openssl-0.9.5a-14 installed.
The problem with openssl-0.9.5a and the postgresql-7.1.2-2.PGDG.i386.rpm
from the redhat 7.x folder on the ftp mirror is that
this rpm requires libcrypto.so.1 amongst other things (libssl as well).

Unfortunately redhat 7.0 has only libcrypto.so.0 and therefore you would
require to upgrade to
openssl-0.9.6 (which has libcrypto.so.1) to get the postgresql 7.1.2 rpm's
installed (short of doing a --nodeps I suppose)

I tried to upgrade my openssl with the openssl-0.9.6-3.i386.rpm from
redhat7.1 (using rpm -Uvh) but no luck as a lot of other rpm's were
depending on libcrypt.so.0 and so on.
It looks like the redhat7.1 openssl-0.9.6-3.i386.rpm package tries to remove
libcrypto.so.0.
So basically I am stuck with the older libcrypt and libssl libraries on
redhat7.0 without a lot of mucking around with updating about 13 other
packages requiring libcrypto.so.0

The way I got around it, and got postgresql 7.1.2 binaries installed???

I downloaded the postgresql-*7.1.2-2.PGDG.i386.rpm binaries from the redhat
6.2 folder on the postgresql ftp server/mirrors and they worked like a charm
with redhat 7.0

Maybe you should update your directory structure on the ftp server to
indicate the redhat7.x folder is really for redhat7.1  ????

--

                Ted    ICQ: 424324
Get my PGP Public Key by fingering my email address

Re: Re: New 7.1.2 RPMS -- 7.1.2-2.PGDG

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Monday 11 June 2001 11:16, Ted wrote:
> Redhat7.0 already has (well my system did - cant remember if it is default
> or not) the "redhat binary" of openssl-0.9.5a-14 installed.
> The problem with openssl-0.9.5a and the postgresql-7.1.2-2.PGDG.i386.rpm
> from the redhat 7.x folder on the ftp mirror is that
> this rpm requires libcrypto.so.1 amongst other things (libssl as well).

This is not good news.

Directory on server renamed 'redhat-7.1' so that it will be a little more
obvious.

Upgrading to Red Hat 7.1 is, by me, highly recommended, though.

I won't be able to even build RH 7.0 binaries shortly, once I upgrade my home
desktop to RH 7.1 -- which will only happen after an errata 2.4 kernel that
doesn't barf on the bttv video capture cards is released.

But I will build RH7.0 binaries on my home machine until then.  Look for a
newer RPM release by weekend, then.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Re: New 7.1.2 RPMS -- 7.1.2-2.PGDG

From
teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:
"Ted" <ted@#pobox.i.hate.spam.com> writes:

>> Redhat7.0 already has (well my system did - cant remember if it is default
> or not) the "redhat binary" of openssl-0.9.5a-14 installed.
> The problem with openssl-0.9.5a and the postgresql-7.1.2-2.PGDG.i386.rpm
> from the redhat 7.x folder on the ftp mirror is that
> this rpm requires libcrypto.so.1 amongst other things (libssl as well).
>
> Unfortunately redhat 7.0 has only libcrypto.so.0 and therefore you would
> require to upgrade to
> openssl-0.9.6 (which has libcrypto.so.1) to get the postgresql 7.1.2 rpm's
> installed (short of doing a --nodeps I suppose)
>
> I tried to upgrade my openssl with the openssl-0.9.6-3.i386.rpm from
> redhat7.1 (using rpm -Uvh) but no luck as a lot of other rpm's were
> depending on libcrypt.so.0 and so on.

There is an openssl095a compatiblity package - install that one, in
addition to the new packages.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.