Re: New 7.1.2 RPMS -- 7.1.2-2.PGDG - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ted
Subject Re: New 7.1.2 RPMS -- 7.1.2-2.PGDG
Date
Re: Re: New 7.1.2 RPMS -- 7.1.2-2.PGDG  (teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød))
List pgsql-general
"Lamar Owen" <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> wrote in message
> Finally I have uploaded 7.1.2 RPMS, to
> /pub/binary/v7.1.2/RPMS
> on the ftp.postgresql.org master site.  They should propagate out to the
> mirrors directly.

I tried these new binaries on my redhat 7.0 system...
The binaries I got were the ones from the redhat7.x folder (from the
Australian mirror)

There is a problem with these rpm's and openssl.

> Next, the binary RPM's have built-in support for open-ssl -- but you have
> have OpenSSL installed to use it. For RedHat 6.2, you can get openssl
binary
> RPM's from your favorite Red Hat updates mirror (I like rufus.w3.org, aka
> rpmfind.net).

Redhat7.0 already has (well my system did - cant remember if it is default
or not) the "redhat binary" of openssl-0.9.5a-14 installed.
The problem with openssl-0.9.5a and the postgresql-7.1.2-2.PGDG.i386.rpm
from the redhat 7.x folder on the ftp mirror is that
this rpm requires libcrypto.so.1 amongst other things (libssl as well).

Unfortunately redhat 7.0 has only libcrypto.so.0 and therefore you would
require to upgrade to
openssl-0.9.6 (which has libcrypto.so.1) to get the postgresql 7.1.2 rpm's
installed (short of doing a --nodeps I suppose)

I tried to upgrade my openssl with the openssl-0.9.6-3.i386.rpm from
redhat7.1 (using rpm -Uvh) but no luck as a lot of other rpm's were
depending on libcrypt.so.0 and so on.
It looks like the redhat7.1 openssl-0.9.6-3.i386.rpm package tries to remove
libcrypto.so.0.
So basically I am stuck with the older libcrypt and libssl libraries on
redhat7.0 without a lot of mucking around with updating about 13 other
packages requiring libcrypto.so.0

The way I got around it, and got postgresql 7.1.2 binaries installed???

I downloaded the postgresql-*7.1.2-2.PGDG.i386.rpm binaries from the redhat
6.2 folder on the postgresql ftp server/mirrors and they worked like a charm
with redhat 7.0

Maybe you should update your directory structure on the ftp server to
indicate the redhat7.x folder is really for redhat7.1  ????

--

                Ted    ICQ: 424324
Get my PGP Public Key by fingering my email address